VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agoraphobia

Rate this topic

Guest Jim S.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Adora:

I know the feeling ... and it is so difficult to explain to someone who has not experienced it.

Is there a separate rating for .. "agoraphobia" .. when it is secondary to PTSD ????

... Magoo .. aka .. Bill ... :unsure:

The Chicken or the Egg?! PTSD has the potential for numerous "secondary conditions". Another term they use is "comorbid", meaning occuring with. I've got generalized anxiety, dysthymia and panic attacks but have never filed to SC any of them. If I wasn't already 100% TDIU, P&T I would keep filing. Oh yeah, one more - I'm an alcoholic in "sustained remission".

On the other hand, if the mental disorder is a totally separate animal from the PTSD, AND it can be service-connected, then there's an additional rating code altogether. But the VA doesn't like to separate mental disorders: one is as good as the other in their rating mindset. They don't want to pay for separate conditions, just lump them all together.

§3.310 Proximate results, secondary conditions.

(a) General. Except as provided in §3.300 ( c), disability which is proximately due to or the result of a service-connected disease or injury shall be service connected. When service connection is thus established for a secondary condition, the secondary condition shall be considered a part of the original condition.

(b) Cardiovascular disease. Ischemic heart disease or other cardiovascular disease developing in a veteran who has a service-connected amputation of one lower extremity at or above the knee or service-connected amputations of both lower extremities at or above the ankles, shall be held to be the proximate result of the service-connected amputation or amputations. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a), 1110-1131)

NOTE: §3.324 Multiple noncompensable service-connected disabilities.

Whenever a veteran is suffering from two or more separate permanent service-connected disabilities of such character as clearly to interfere with normal employability, even though none of the disabilities may be of compensable degree under the 1945 Schedule for Rating Disabilities the rating agency is authorized to apply a 10-percent rating, but not in combination with any other rating.

• 1 month later...

Stiff waiting on the slow claims process, but now for the past year, I have increasingly found myself not wanting to leave my house, I mamage to go out to check my mail, but I am down to one or two times a week, and only when I'm down to my last bbit of food. I've managed to combined my visits to the VA Hosptial and shopping, but this past week I missed a much needed visit to my psychiatrist.

I don't seem to get all panicey, but I can't bring myself to go outside sometimes, some days are just more

Do people bother you? Like not wanting to be around other people that aren't in your immediatly in hour household?

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Since this is about agoraphobia I will add my 2 cents. Yes I have it and like Adora it seems to come and go but it is always lurking. Agoraphobia translated from Greek root means fear of open spaces which is almost funny to me as mine cause me to gear in closed space. Like others I have gone till food is all gone and still waited.

Most people who have agoraphobia try to trick it. Shop for groceries at 2 AM. Sit in back close to an exit. Take a dog with them. Have a trusted person help them go places. For me I only go to Doctors appointments and occasionally go out and gather food. August has always been my worst month. I think the heat makes it worse for me.

Like John and Magoo I have the actual diagnosis and really no help at all from VA. Most people who have panic attacks will do almost anything not to have another one. By the way I now go out with two dogs to keep me company.

Since this is about agoraphobia I will add my 2 cents. Yes I have it and like Adora it seems to come and go but it is always lurking. Agoraphobia translated from Greek root means fear of open spaces which is almost funny to me as mine cause me to gear in closed space. Like others I have gone till food is all gone and still waited.

Most people who have agoraphobia try to trick it. Shop for groceries at 2 AM. Sit in back close to an exit. Take a dog with them. Have a trusted person help them go places. For me I only go to Doctors appointments and occasionally go out and gather food. August has always been my worst month. I think the heat makes it worse for me.

Like John and Magoo I have the actual diagnosis and really no help at all from VA. Most people who have panic attacks will do almost anything not to have another one. By the way I now go out with two dogs to keep me company.

I went to the doctor on the 19th of SEP, and he told me that most anxiety is rooted in depression. I can't go out in places like Wal-mart, etc, without having a panic attack. I also buy enough food to last months, so I don't have to go out, but my wife makes me go once every couple of weeks to eat out, and get out of the house. I have to put a valium under my tounge 30 mins before we get there so I can stand to be there.

I have a diagnosis of anixety/depression and bipolar disorder, whicch to me seems like anxiety/depression.

I have been thinking of getting a little dog that can stay inside with me all day so I'm not alone, and take places. Do you have to get a service dog to be able to take it in stores, etc.? I see people with their little lap dogs in stores all of the tome. I think it would help me out to have a true friend like a dog!

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that you can do that. I think that it would be a good idea also.

http://sdog.danawheels.net/

Has a lot of info that you may find helpful. I looked into getting a a service dog vest for my dog but than I decided not to. Sometimes I do take her inside and she sits in the basket.

You have to train the dog if you are going to be around people. Unfortunately some people think that they can pet a dog anytime they want and I know that although my dog does not bite she does not like strangers at all.