VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Psychiatrist

Rate this question

Hollis

Question

I need help here. I was seeing my psychiatrist. Dr. and he told me he just got back from Viet Nam. He said he went to see his family. Now I knew he wasn't and white or black as he had oriental features. But this just floored me. He also said he was from Cu Ci, and that he and his sister went to visit the tunnel under the base camp of Cu Ci. Hell that was where I was station with 25 INF and the 38th ISDP and I have so many bad memories of that place, and other events is why I have PTSD. I DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHAT TO DO this has freaked me out, can anyone give direction on what I can do.

thanks

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You know Vietnam has such a young population that most of them don't even remember the war. Americans by and large have

forgotten the Vietnam War on purpose except in a negative sense. Hollis, I think you should talk about the problem you are having with your psychiatrist to your psychiatrist.

I would do what makes me feel best. I understand completely the reactions you are having. Think back if you can and see if he was actually helping you in the past and then think forward can you make this work for you and him. If you don't see it then get as far away from him as you can!

Stillhere

I don't think Hollis was saying he hates Vietnamese people, not at all, just that this is triggering him. It seems like the coincidence of his duty station and the doctor's hometown has a lot to do with it.

We don't get to choose what triggers us, and PTSD reactions aren't based on logic or easily controllable. Heck, if we could simply rationalize our responses to triggers, we'd be able to live normal lives and wouldn't need psychiatrists in the first place.

Hollis, if you can talk to the man about what you're feeling, that would be fantastic. If you can't, you can't.

• HadIt.com Elder

It seems odd to me. I mean they were the enemy and some part of us is still fighting our war. Now we come back and the person we have to confide in is the Somali, Iraqi, Afgan, or Vietnamese. I think we have become so "PC" that we cannot see the absurdity of expecting American veterans with their unique culture having to explain ourselves to a lot of Psych docs from other countries. Half the time the guy cannot say my name right, so he is going to help me? I am not sold.

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA gets these guys because they are willing to put up with the VA system. They can't make it on their own. I had a crusty old shrink at the VA in 1972. I came back 30 years later and he was still there. He could never have made it in private practice.

Yes Carlie it is freaking me out, you ask why, it because I have flash back when I was in country, and that I may have killed one of his relatives, and I have been telling him all my problems. AND YES because he is Vietnamese. I been seeing him for about a year, but last session he exposed this to me. And yes I want to change Dr. Do you see a problem here? if so please explain to me. Thanks for your questions

If it bothers you/ triggers you, just change providers.