Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unbelievable

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I needed a letter, from the VA, for my veteran disability discount, on my property taxes and the regular annual letters haven't been mailed yet. So, today, I stopped in and requested just a simple letter stating that I'm service connected at 100%. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my glasses in w/me . . . duh, stupid me! The letter has today's date and my address from 3 moves ago. Anyway, the letter states: "The records of the DVA indicate that the veteran, Philip Rogers, at one time prior to death was in receipt of service connected compensation for a disability or disabilities rated at 100%."

Now, bear in mind, that my c-file is classified as "level seven, sensitive," which means only management can access my file. This is due to me having a lawyer and having been at the CAVC, on an appeal. This is to prevent errors. Yeah, right!!!

Anyway, just had to share!

pr

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

This is outrageous!!!!!!

(is there a live in significant other and are you in a common law state?

they could apply for DIC!!!!!)

Seriously- as Mark Twain said-when a newspaper reported his obit by mistake-

the reports of your death have been grossly exagerated!

It just seems to reflect what I believe about many VA employees -they are ILLITERATE!

Thank God this is a ridiculous error-they didnt pay a burial claim yet did they?

Philip- you are the second vet here in a short time frame who VA thought was dead!

Maybe since we aint dying fast enough and are hanging on for our claims-this is the new VA MOS-

just declare them dead anyhow!

Actually this is a real Hoot!

I hope they square it away fast however.

So much for sensitive file Ha Ha!

Should I send flowers or do you prefer a very low keyed service?

Now, bear in mind, that my c-file is classified as "level seven, sensitive," which means only management can access my file. This is due to me having a lawyer and having been at the CAVC, on an appeal. This is to prevent errors. Yeah, right!!!

Anyway, just had to share!

Sensitive 7.....I don't know who told you that only management can view your file, but that is NOT true. I used to have sensitive 7 in Appeals (I am not management), and I see sensitive 6 and 7 files everyday. They are kept in general population (the file room), and yes there are select people who work these files, but they are not management and they are probably more plentiful than you think. Having been at CAVC doesn't make your file sensitive either. Having an attorney will, and some other reasons as well.

Being sensitive isn't going to prevent errors.... It's not even set-up for that reason.

I am about to finish (tomorrow) my stack of 75 pieces of returned mail. Veterans that did not keep their addresses updated with VBA, and all of their "end of year/first of year" letters are bouncing back. I have heard that there were about 10,000 total. If I find a good address for them, then the letter gets re-sent, but if I cannot find a confirmed address then we are preparing to start "whereabouts unknown" claims. The veterans benefits will be cut-off until they contact us and give us a good address. It is the veterans responsibility to keep VBA updated on their address, and no...we do not get updated from VHA (VAMC's). We are 2 different entities for some reason. Nothing I can do about that, but if I find a different address with the VHA I will re-send the letter with the warning of "if this is your correct address please let us know or it could adversly affect your benefits."

Some of the veterans have passed, some are back on active duty, and some live 10 states away. It's gonna be bad for some of these veterans/widows if we cut them off, but what can we do? You have to keep us informed.

It is always a sad ocassion when one of our members pass. Did you leave any of us in your will. Don't want to miss out on any good stuff. I need a new set of golf clubs. I am also into antiques. Please post the will so we all know what we get. Is there really a bright light on the other side!

Sorry to hijack this but:

Meddac, so if the people that work with you (I'm guessing that you work for VA?) get those letters they let them go without contacting the other branches of VA to check the address or see if there is an updated one?

That is going to be the basis for a CUE I will file for an earlier effective date for my first claim from 1994. I won't bore everyone with details, but I did find a case where it stated that VA MUST contact other branches of the VA (comp, medical, education) and even go so far as to contact the unemployment people, etc. closest to the last known address of the vet, but that VA cannot be expected to "move heaven and earth" to find a vet if they have not updated thier address.

I know from asking that the different branches of VA have different databases, but to think that I collected the GI Bill for 3 years while VA comp claimed that they couldn't find me is quite possibly the perfect example of why the VA is screwed up.

Sorry again for hijacking!

pr,

I hope you have got that house in good working order,

since your dead I'm going to move up north and sample the syrup.

Poor pr - he was such a good guy, he will certainly be missed.

carlie