Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Unbelievable

Rate this question

Philip Rogers

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I needed a letter, from the VA, for my veteran disability discount, on my property taxes and the regular annual letters haven't been mailed yet. So, today, I stopped in and requested just a simple letter stating that I'm service connected at 100%. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my glasses in w/me . . . duh, stupid me! The letter has today's date and my address from 3 moves ago. Anyway, the letter states: "The records of the DVA indicate that the veteran, Philip Rogers, at one time prior to death was in receipt of service connected compensation for a disability or disabilities rated at 100%."

Now, bear in mind, that my c-file is classified as "level seven, sensitive," which means only management can access my file. This is due to me having a lawyer and having been at the CAVC, on an appeal. This is to prevent errors. Yeah, right!!!

Anyway, just had to share!

pr

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Meddac, there you go, confirming my feelings that the VA isn't there to help. If I wanted an address update I'd check w/the USPS but not the VA, they look everywhere but where they might find it. That way they give the appearance of being helpful to veterans. Doesn't surprise me but then I'm cynical, when it comes to the VA and that's due to yrs of dealing w/them. jmo

pr

Cynical or not...The returned mail eats up our time and it's very difficult to lay blame.

I spent 4 hours today (a total of 7 hours this week so far) looking for veterans addresses so I could get this mail sent back out. That is 7 hours that I could have spent working on other claims. Instead, the claims are that much older. It cannot and is not ALL the VA's fault. We have a good helping of the blame I am sure, but not all of it.

There are veterans that don't think they should have to keep their address updated. There are VA personnel that don't care. Then there I am talking to veterans on the phone...telling them that their claim is delayed for one of those two reasons. Sorry, I know the VA has done a lot wrong, but I am not going to swallow on this one. It's a shared blame at best.

To read this thread, you would think it is all the VA's doing. You would think that I (as an employee) should spend vast amounts of time hunting down veterans instead of working claims. It is plain embarassing to tell a veteran that I have been a little sidetracked by some returned mail. I wish you could hear some of the phone calls. It's just not all the VA on this one.

• HadIt.com Elder

Philip, sure hope you get the corrected letter so you can take care of those taxes. Seems the IRS and citys/state keep addresses well, but I've also read about them declaring person gone before their time.

Wish ya the best,

Cg'up2009!

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

"Address correction requested" Or "address service requested" on an envelope brings a corrected address, if it's within one year of the change.

pr

USPS will not release such information without a warrant.

Wow Philip that was worse then mine...they sent a letter addressed to my family they were sorry for my recent death, and they needed to send back the overpayment to the VA in Mn. Took a while to get them to realize their error...kept calling faxing and writing but it took my VSO to personally walk it over to the manager of my VARO to make them realize I was indeed ALIVE!

Then it took them their sweet time to pay me...never got an appology just "Oh well someone must have transposed your claim number with someone who did die!"

I needed a letter, from the VA, for my veteran disability discount, on my property taxes and the regular annual letters haven't been mailed yet. So, today, I stopped in and requested just a simple letter stating that I'm service connected at 100%. Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my glasses in w/me . . . duh, stupid me! The letter has today's date and my address from 3 moves ago. Anyway, the letter states: "The records of the DVA indicate that the veteran, Philip Rogers, at one time prior to death was in receipt of service connected compensation for a disability or disabilities rated at 100%."

Now, bear in mind, that my c-file is classified as "level seven, sensitive," which means only management can access my file. This is due to me having a lawyer and having been at the CAVC, on an appeal. This is to prevent errors. Yeah, right!!!

Anyway, just had to share!

pr

• HadIt.com Elder

Meddac, it's my understanding that only a GS-11 or higher can access my c-file. True or false?? Thanks!

pr

Sensitive 7.....I don't know who told you that only management can view your file, but that is NOT true. I used to have sensitive 7 in Appeals (I am not management), and I see sensitive 6 and 7 files everyday. They are kept in general population (the file room), and yes there are select people who work these files, but they are not management and they are probably more plentiful than you think. Having been at CAVC doesn't make your file sensitive either. Having an attorney will, and some other reasons as well.

Being sensitive isn't going to prevent errors.... It's not even set-up for that reason.

I am about to finish (tomorrow) my stack of 75 pieces of returned mail. Veterans that did not keep their addresses updated with VBA, and all of their "end of year/first of year" letters are bouncing back. I have heard that there were about 10,000 total. If I find a good address for them, then the letter gets re-sent, but if I cannot find a confirmed address then we are preparing to start "whereabouts unknown" claims. The veterans benefits will be cut-off until they contact us and give us a good address. It is the veterans responsibility to keep VBA updated on their address, and no...we do not get updated from VHA (VAMC's). We are 2 different entities for some reason. Nothing I can do about that, but if I find a different address with the VHA I will re-send the letter with the warning of "if this is your correct address please let us know or it could adversly affect your benefits."

Some of the veterans have passed, some are back on active duty, and some live 10 states away. It's gonna be bad for some of these veterans/widows if we cut them off, but what can we do? You have to keep us informed.