Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Success Ssa (sort Of)

Rate this topic

Chuck75

• HadIt.com Elder

The SSA eagle flew by today, and dropped a five figure check for retro SSDI. Seems that the eagle has outrun the letter notice, and any description/details. I did receive a phone call from the local SSA office about two weeks ago telling me (informally?) what the new monthly amount would be. Initially, I had applied for SSD and SS when I was to turn 62. The difference between early retirement and SSD turns out to be considerable, a little over $500, since the SSD retro award also caused a total recalculation of benefits. It looks like regular retirement age is used in the calculation instead of 62

The SSA rep said today that the disability award letter was now in my electronic record, and I should be getting a copy in the mail. The letter was dated 6 June 07. The award is for full disability. The effective date is as I understand it, a year later (Jan 07) instead of for Jan 06. So, I still have something to fight about. I can argue that the award should be effective at the earlier date, or even a date between the two (Aug 06) based upon medical records already submitted, along with the VA's compensation award in Dec 05. Had the VA not been so slow, SSA "might have given/considered" more weight on the VA part of the whole thing.

The difference in the SSA monthly payment is about $428 between "early SSA based upon age (62) and based upon full disability. Seems the full disability changes the amount to the full retirement age amount as if I had retired at 66 1/2.

(Not to mention the tax benefits due to the disability)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic