Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Tested Me With Out Telling Me..

Rate this question

jecsb4

Question

I requested a copy of my VA records and discovered that the VA did a drug / alcohol test with my urine sample. When they asked for the sample saying it was just for routine tests. I guess I should have asked more probing questions.

I have just started using the VA Med center and MH section for depression, they all always ask me if I do drug or alcohol now or in the past. I keep telling them NO, and it isn't compatable with my MEDs. Anyway the test results were negative.

I guess if they catch a Vet in a lie they will take anything else you say with a gain of salt.

Joe

I asked why they did this actually. I was told that it was to ensure that the pain meds perscribed were actually being taken. They are afraid that the patient is also combining self meds like pot and stuff with the perscibed meds.... and since they are assuming care they have the legal right to do it... so you can either A. accept the tests, or B. not accept the treatment and meds... its kinda up to you.

Its NOT personal, they do it to everybody who is onpain meds or other prosribed items.

Guest RickB54

Not to be arguemenative, but I've been dealing with the va for over 20 years, and this is a new one on me. I never heard of the va or any hospital having the legal right to administer a urine test for the sole purpose of drug testing, not without the expressed permission of the PT.

the only other time I could see a urine test being administered under legal authority would be due to a DUI, or court order for drug use offences.

I am no lawyer, but I doubt the va has the legal authority to just willy-nilly administer a urine test because you are perscribed a pain killer.

The nest time I am required to submit a sample, I will be asking about this. I have nothing to hide but it seems to me in the least an invasion of privacy.

Well I didnt really question it too much to be honest, but thats what MOST of the urine tests are for. Oh I've had a couple for other things but the old drug test one rolls around every 6 months or so....

Personally, I wasn't too offended by it so I took their response at face value, but thats the response they gave me... a bit more tactfully but that was it in a nutshell.. either do it, or dont get care or meds....

Man I lived thru so many of these in the service I guess I have a rather Pavlovian reflex ya know. I never really cared then, and I dont now, but hey I can see how some might so please look into it and share what you find out, I'm curious now.

Oh and disagreeing isnt being argumentative... your on VERY safe ground Rick... Ive only been dealing with the VA since 2002, and they have hit me with this repeatedly so I'd guess I'm not alone, or a lot of people are just doing it unaware of what its normally for.... though to be honest I have always been on pain meds since 2002, so maybe its just us... but they made it out too me when I asked that it was for people on psych meds as well...

Go figure...

Edited by sixthscents

Its my belief that they only have the right to do these drug test on you if you have signed a narcotics agreement/contract. Never the less the VA will never get another urine sample from me, from now on I will say I just went, sorry.........................