Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Spn Codes

Rate this question

Berta

Question

Edwin Crosby who has pending litigation on the SPN code matter provided listeners last night with riveting info on the whole SPN code history at the SVR broadcast-

His web page is http://www.landscaper.net/discharg.htm (15th Field Artillery Regiment) and the archived showrecording will be available in a few days-(maybe there already) at:

http://www.stardustent.com/svr.htm

I was reading the VBM as he spoke and he was giving out the FACTS-

SPN codes Chapter 18 -VBM 2006 edition-

But much of the info was quite startling-

Also on the 4th of July I will be guest speaker 6:30 EST--talking about the Scam that the VCAA has become-

I am asking Senator Schumer to provide comment for this show-on my recent letter to him asking him to propose an amendment to the VCAA-

Our Ultimate DTA regulation- which is law of the land- is NOT being extended to THOUSANDS of us claimants-

as the BVA web site as well as the BVA Chairman's recent report to Nicholson reveals.

I call a spade a spade- and "scam" is the only word I have to describe what the VA is doing-

if VA doesn't like it they can sue me-I LOVE litigation-

maybe denial of claim by denial of DTA is a better way to say it.

The SPN show is worth listening too as well as all of our other archived shows-and Mr. Crosbys contact info is there too---

my amendment will put the onus onto the vet reps and SOs out there who perpetuate this scam.

we encourage the VA and all interested parties to hear our live braodcasts via PC interactive podcast-

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

At the bottom of DD 214s ( often on a DD 214 that the veteran NEVER has seen).

If a veteran was discharged before May 1, 1974 the veteran can usually have the codes removed with few problems-

Other situations involve a full blown frontal attack- meaning the vet has to request a BMCR and even a DRB-

A lot of this gets into Military Code of Justice etc etc-

A SPN code on a normal DD 214 might well have revealed to a potential employer that the vet was a bed wetter, had been AWOL, or other bad conduct stuff-which may have NO supporting documentation of fact behind it.

See Chapter 18 of the VBM and our archives or check out the website for Mr. Crosby or post SP Code into the Google search button-

The mil used this crapola alot decades ago-

my biggest fear is that the wrong SPN codes on a DD 214 today can and will adversely affect our newly returning men and women- coming out of harm's way-

This subject is so involved that it would take hours for me to post the info on it here-

SPNs aka Spin codes are something all veterans should be aware of as these codes have cost veterans good jobs in the past-when employers asked for release of all of their military records and got one of the 8 DD 214s that are prepared-that is right- there are 8 copies of the DD 214 prepared upon discharge-

and the employer got one with a SPN code that they looked up (major employers have a list of them)(and after Vietnam they thought you all were nuts) and held what the code revealed against the veteran and did not hire them.

This is one of the main reasons that Affirmative Action laws such as the VEVRA Act and all the other equal opportunity laws of the 1980s and 1990s for veterans- did NOT help veterans-

and often the Spins were wrong with no basis in fact and the veteran never even knew it.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Allan,

(Separation Program Numbers)

Related Resources

• Numeric SPN Codes

• Alphabetic SPN Codes

• Army RE Codes

• Air Force RE Codes

• Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Codes

Hidden on practically every veteran’s DD-214 discharge papers are secret code letters and numbers called Separation Program Numbers (SPN numbers) that might make obtaining veterans benefits difficult if not impossible. Here are these secret numeric codes that may make a difference in your future.

These codes are contained in your military records and may be annotated on various military separation documents. These codes are subject to change, and the Department of Defense will no longer allow the military services to release the meanings of these codes to the general public. The below definitions were obtained before this prohibition went into effect.

Here's a URL for SPN codes, they are on DD214's and can be:

alphabetical:
http://www.utahvva.org/documents/spn%20codes_alpha.htm

and or

numeric:
http://www.utahvva.org/documents/spn%20codes_num.htm

Here's just a few off the top to show how they look on your DD 214.

These are numeric:

21U - Separation for failure to demonstrate adequate potential for promotion

202 - Expiration of term of enlistment

203 - Expiration of term of active obligated service

205 - Release from active & transferred to reserve

209 - Release from Active Duty within 3 mos of expiration of USN service

210 - Separation for failure to demonstrate adequate potential for promotion

212 - Honorable wartime service subsequent to desertion

or

These are alphabetical:

BMN - Unsuitability (Reason Unknown)

BNC - Misconduct, moral or professional dereliction or in interests of national security

BRA - Engaged or attempted to engage in, or solicited another to engage in homosexual act(s)

BRB - See JRB, BKC

BRC - See JRC, BKC

CBL - Unsuitability (Reason Unknown)

DCH - Early Release - To teach

DER - Disability - Non EPTS - No Severance Pay

DFS - Good of the Service, conduct triable by court martial

DLC - Homosexuality

EKD - AWOL, Desertion

ELPAC - Entry Level Performance & Conduct

FBC - Other

FBK - Expiration of Term of Service

FBL - Expiration of Term of Service

FCM - Conscientious Objector

BMN - Unsuitability (Reason Unknown)

BNC - Misconduct, moral or professional dereliction or in interests of national security

BRA - Engaged or attempted to engage in, or solicited another to engage in homosexual act(s)

BRB - See JRB, BKC

BRC - See JRC, BKC

CBL - Unsuitability (Reason Unknown)

DCH - Early Release - To teach

DER - Disability - Non EPTS - No Severance Pay

DFS - Good of the Service, conduct triable by court martial

DLC - Homosexuality

EKD - AWOL, Desertion

ELPAC - Entry Level Performance & Conduct

FBC - Other

FBK - Expiration of Term of Service

FBL - Expiration of Term of Service

FCM - Conscientious Objector

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I have and will continue to fight a spin code of 460. Emotional Instability. My discharge reads by reasons of unsuitability, yet I was prescribed Librium for Nerves Anxiety and Cafergot for headaches.

I can't get past or haven't succeeded to date of breaking through that code.

I never knew that it was there for 40 years, but I do now. I am surprised they didn't stick the PD on my DD 214.

The VA has given me a diagnosis of a " Personality Disorder" although I have been treated for the last 43 years for Anxiety with Depression and Headaches.

My doctors of 43 years have never once mentioned any form of a " Personality Disorder", and have never treated me for one, but the Psychiatrist at the VA Medical Center could locate one in their 30 minute quick C&P.

In turn, No Benefits!

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

when folks are discharged, they receive 2 copies of dd214; copy 1 and copy 4. copy 1 is a shorter form about 3/4's of a page with the bottom portion excluded.

AR 601-210 standards for military enlistment has a list of all of these codes and their meaning. i'm sure all branchs have similar regulations.

i've seen hundreds of dd214's from prior service applicants, and as long as the re-code is eligible for enlistment, the spd/spn code never really caused an issue for enlistment. the spd/spn code only applies to last period of service. when you reenlist the recode/ spn/spd is based on last period of service.

i have had issues with spn/spd codes in the past, but haven't had any success getting one changed. i'm sure there are mistakes made, but i've never seen one changed.

again, the spn/spd code is at the bottom of dd214, copy 4 (or next to the RE code). In most cases it will not be on dd214 copy 1.

I would have never imagined that an spn/spd code on a dd214 of a honorably discharged veteran would cause problems with a VA claim

• HadIt.com Elder

I haven't looked at my DD- 214 in a couple of weeks, but my spin code is right at the very top. Which copy it is, I really don't know.

I know that my private doctors of 41 years never knew that this was on my discharge.

I have read each and every page of my private doctors records since discharge and there is not even a hint of any type of " Personality Disorder".

I am not even sure if you would treat one with anti depressants and tranquilizers.

I am confident the Psychiatrist at the VAMC were aware the spin code being on my discharge.

The Phd Psychologist for my first C&P examination, made no mention, whatsoever of a " Personality Disorder" and placed my anxiety with depression to my time in service with a " More Likely than Not".

It was 5 months later that I received the second C&P for same with the Psychiatrist at the VAMC

Axis 1 - Anxiety Not Other wise Specified

Axis 11 - Borderline Personality Disorder

Axis 111

Axis IV Diabetes and the list goes on

Axis V - GAF - 40

Appears this veterans symptoms are primary those of a " Personality Disorder". She was discharged by reasons of " Unsuitability" and " Things that she considered Indicative of Abuse".

The Board finds that her" Anxiety did not begin or Worsen during Service."

SSOC

We place our weight with the Psychiatrist for they were Psychiatrist.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine