VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p Exam When Permanent And Total?!?!?!?

Rate this question

brandon-n-lisa

Question

I am currently rated 60% TDIU permanent and total. I received this rating in April 2006. I got a letter today for two C&P exams, one for each of my major disabilities.

Is this normal?

Should I be worried that they are going to take my rating away?

I thought that when you were permanent and total, that you didn't have anymore C&P exams.

I am really worried about this.

Thanks for your help.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Did you submit the annual Employment Questionaire to your regional office?? If you received the IU rating in April, you should have received this in May-June. Did you work at anytime since your rating decision?? If your disabilities havn't improved and you haven't worked since your last rating, I wouldn't worry about it too much. In order for the VA to reduce a IU award, they must be able to show that you have had matrial improvement in your disabilities and there is strong evidence of you being able to hold a substantial gainful occupation. Just because one is designated P&T doesn't mean VA cannot schedule a C&P exam. If the VA becomes aware of any improvement in a veteran's disability that is designated P&T, they most certainly can take a look see.

Vike 17

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are over 55 years of age they should not be doing another exam unless you have improved. If you are IU and are not working it will be hard to show that you have improved under the normal conditions of being employed. That is pretty much what they have to show for IU vets. If you went to work and maintained employment for at least a year you would then probably be in hot water. I would contact the VARO and remind them that you are P&T and ask why you are being examined for a static condition. They might cancell the exam. I think they are just poking around but may in fact have sent out the exam request as a mistake. You still have to go if the VA insists.

I sent the questionairre back to them after I got it. I have not worked in the past year or anything, and my condition has actually gotten worse. I am on much stronger pain meds now (methadone).

I am only 33 years old, so maybe they are doing it because of my age.

I assume that VARO means my regional office, do I need to ask to speak to any particular person, or just talk to a representative?

Thanks for your answers so far, we were worried sick about it.

Brandon

• HadIt.com Elder

How far are you from your VARO? If I could I would get my spouse to take me there and ask a couselor about it and see what can be done to stop it before you have to go for the exam. I don't think it will matter however since unless you are working you don't have too much to worry about. Be sure you keep going to the VAMC and complain every time you go.

How far are you from your VARO? If I could I would get my spouse to take me there and ask a couselor about it and see what can be done to stop it before you have to go for the exam. I don't think it will matter however since unless you are working you don't have too much to worry about. Be sure you keep going to the VAMC and complain every time you go.

Sounds like a good idea. The Regional Office is only about an hour south of me in Waco, Texas. The main thing I am worried about(after reading about it on here) is that part of my rating is for depression, and I don't think I have had any treatment for it since I was rated. Before I was rated, I had only seen a doc for it once. I just don't want to go. I have a lot of anxiety about any doctors appointment, and generally don't go unless I am in servere pain and have no other option. My TDIU is for Degenerative Disk Desease in my back, and I have been maybe three times to the VA for that. They did increase my medications to methadone, so maybe that will ensure them that I have not magically gotten better over the last year.

If they don't cancel the C&P exams, do you think that it will be a problem that I have not had very much treatment?

The VA can schedule an appointment at anytime regardless of your status. If one is scheduled just make sure you attend it. If your disability became static, which is what your P&T status should have been based upon or gotten worse you do not have to worry about it. Remember, at this time absense of treatmentment does not equal no disability.

Thet may not have received your employment (or lack of) forms which prompted they request for examination. I would check with the RO just to see. If they did and still want the exam no big problem. If nothing has changed just sit back and enjoy life without worry and all will be ok.