Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disabled Tp /working

Rate this question

maxwell18

Question

Does any one know if you are 100% TP would be in trouble for volunteering for community services. I want to help out and can do some things but only for short periods of time and then have to lay down for a while. Also drawing social security disability.

thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Greetings,

I know several vets in the same situation you are in. Many do voulenteer where they can and how long they can handle it with their issues. As far as getting into trouble I am unsure what you mean. As long as you are not getting any income from it, I do not see what any goverment agency can do to you.

I hope this helps. There are many more here on hadit that can answer this better then I. God bless you.

Bound4Heaven

• HadIt.com Elder

As long as you are not working for wages I think it is OK. Just tell everyone you are retired and don't go into the details. The VA does not have to know if you don't tell them. No one is watching unless you make a big deal out of it.

I would be more afraid of Social Security. They have stricter standards than VA. If they find out you are doing some kind of volunteer work, they will try to say you can get a job doing that or something like it. Happened to a friend-almost lost his SSI.

oneshot:

"Being 100% and not working is not all it's crack up to be, everyone else in the world is someone and doing things, and not having that satisfaction sucks, and it gets old real quick."

I certainly agree. Most "civilians" don't get that part of being TDIU, and frankly, I sure didn't until I became TDIU and experienced the reality of it.

And yes, you feel that you could lose it from someone reporting you for doing any kind of volunteer work, trying to take classes, or report you just for spite as you said.

So for I don't know how many of us, being TDIU is much like being a bird in a gilded cage...

And for those of us on TDIU income and ONLY that income (i.e., no SS, no civilian career retirement pension, no military retired pay, etc.), we "make" the lowest income of anyone rated TDIU.

Sure not complaining though -- VERY glad I have it -- just saying that once you get it, much of life is "closed" to you but not closed to other people, or those rated 100% physically. You see people doing things and moving on, but all you can do is stay level. And if you're really "lucky," on top of that your age (the Gray Ceiling) closes lots of doors to you, too.

But it sure as heck beats living on the street, so I guess things could be lots worse than feeling bad because you can't work, go to med school or whatever "normal" plans you might have had that will never be realized!

The downside is that TDIU gives you LOTS of time to dwell on that. Not good.

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft

70% TDIU/P&T

Army - RVN - 1969-70 (10th Cav/4th ID, II Corps RVN)

USCG - Galveston, TX - 1976-78 (USCGC Valiant, WMEC 621)

• Founder

i am very familiar with this dilemma, i was all about work it was how i defined myself, it's where i got my satisfaction and my self worth...then nothing to do or that i could do it was devastating to me. took me many years to find what works for me. i started this site because i was sick of the va runaround and felt i could make a difference. i have to keep my mind very occupied, so the site helps with that, reading, and other stuff helps, trying out new hobby's - volunteering outside the house is a no go situation for me so that is out, but i do my small part here.

before my sister retired i told her it would be work filling her days, everyone just like at me like i was nuts, which admittedly i am :angry:, but after a few years she told me it is really tough filling her days.

i get up every morning between 4 - 6 am make my coffee and go to the office and start working, my office in house, i have to get up every day and do at least one thing for the site. it's part of my therapy, then i have those times where i become disconnected and disassociated to a degree, could last a day, an hour, a week, a month those are tougher times and when i come out them it takes me awhile to get back on the horse, but i do get back on, and then later i fall off again, and the whole thing repeats itself, but hey it's a system B)

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Guest Dataman

The downside is that TDIU gives you LOTS of time to dwell on that. Not good.

John that is so true. Too much time.

I volunteer at a place once day a week for few hours and on trips for VA Nursing Home (About once a month). Plus my hobby (Photography). Last week was Photography Saturday 8-1 and rest and then make prints at Awards Banq. Till about Midnight. Wiped me for 2 days.

If I could get new left wrist and get my back fixed and feet. I would rather work. I applied for 3 jobs at VA Hosp here when I applied for TDIU.

I do my part so I do not feel worthless. Otherwise it's just waiting for the next checks, paying bills.

Sure I get enough to get by on, but it's only about 1/3 what I would be making in my job. I was photographer with ABC part time and was to move into something bigger.

Now I just enjoy life and do my part when I can.