Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Disabled Tp /working

Rate this question

maxwell18

Question

Does any one know if you are 100% TP would be in trouble for volunteering for community services. I want to help out and can do some things but only for short periods of time and then have to lay down for a while. Also drawing social security disability.

thanks

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It also depends on your disability in my opinion. Some disabilities are more subjective than others and, hence, the VA may be more likely to lower a rating with said disabilities. For instance, if my wife, who is 100% PTSD, were to start volunteering and the RO caught wind of it I'm sure they would reopen her case and at least investigate things, which can be a nightmare in and of itself. However, realistically, what are the chances someone in the RO will get wind of what you are doing?

So, it comes down to how secure you think you are in your rating if the VA were to reopen your case TODAY (do you have medical proof that you still deserve the 100%?) and how much you want to volunteer knowing there is a chance, be it ever so slim, that the VA could *attempt* to use it against you........

Personally, there are ways to do things without linking your name to them...in other words, one can do volunteer work from home (via the internet, home office, making phone calls, etc), but use your spouse's name as the one actually doing the work. You could even set something up outside of home that your "spouse" is getting credit for, though you're the one actually putting in the leg work (maybe handing out pamphlets for an non-profit). This way, you get to contribute to society in some way, but there is no official record of it at all.

OK, here's my 2 cents. Volunteer work is fine as long as the veteran works within the limits imposed by their disability. For example: A veteran volunteers to work at one of the VA hospitals, but has the stipulation that he or she may have to work as able, or at a job where they can go home early if necessary.

Could the VA investigate you for this.. why sure, but as long as you stipulate up front your limitations, and the people you want to volunteer for are cool with it I cant see how it would be an issue.

Most people on this board know I do volunteer advocacy work in my local community, and online. Recently, due to my health, that has had to cut way back. I hope to be able to go back to it once the surgeries are done etc, but the thing is I work within my limitations.

I think the VA has enough on their plate without this too. Go ahead and volunteer, it's VERY rewarding - for me it restored a sense of purpose at a time when I really needed it.

Bob Smith

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree Bob, Volunteer within the limits of your disability.

If a Veteran is 100% schedular and not IU, The Veteran may be able to work. However if a Veteran draws SSD I would not attempt to.

Now if A Veteran draws SSDI and turns 65 I believe all bets are off and the Vet can earn some money because the SSDI converts to regular social security.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Tbird-I liked your post- it sure rang a bell with me- as you all know- I am not a vet and not disabled-

but the thought of getting up every day and not having work to do is just something I cannot handle.

I often find it difficult to deal with drop in company when I am busy-and those who think I should be enjoying my retirement lounging on my deck eating bon bons or watching videos-

yeah right- I am too busy for that-

I lounged yesterday for 15 minutes and then re arranged all of my Christmas and Fall decorations stored in one of my barns.

When I came back in I noticed there was a little algae on my siding and I ended up pressure washing the siding of the whole house

if Rod had not died I would still be raising beef ,sheep, goats and horses-

I still miss that work and ate what I raised organically.I had an enormous garden too.

Some of the food we (USA) imports is crap.

I have found that the happiest people I know are volunteers.

The sense of purpose and fulfillment can not be beat.

It has to be put into perspective however- this is one of my busiest months-

school starts soon too and that really peels down my time here.

The upkeep of my land and home also takes considerable time.

I just wish for 2 things-

that I could read text books and drive at the same time-

and that I only needed 4 hours of sleep at night.

And the volunteers I know who seem to do the most work are mostly all disabled vets like TBird and so many of you here!

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.