Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension As Secondary To Diabetes -essential In Nature

Rate this question

Ruffcreek

Question

Last year I submitted a claim for hypertension as secondary to the service connected disability of diabetes mellitus, type 2 with dietary restrictions. The claim was denied.

In the reasons for decision the VA examiner stated he feels my hypertension is most likely ESSENTAIL IN NATURE.

Could someone tell me what "essential in nature" means?

Thanks,

Ruffcreek

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

It means "hey we don't have time for you and there are too many claims in the pot, but keep filing maybe we can find something to compensate you for." When I got a claim back that said "shrapnel wounds were not service connected, I knew the VA had lost it.

I cracked up when I read this one! Not because it's funny that you got that stupid reason for denial, but because sometimes I have to laugh to keep from doing something stupid myself. Honestly, I do believe it's possible to have PTSD from fighting the VA claims process.

You take the prize for having the funniest stupid reason for denial! Wonder what they thought your post-service occupation was? Did you ever get that decision corrected? Just curious, if you did, how long did it take? Some wonder why 800,000 claims are backlogged...

We should start a thread to list the crazy reasons and bases for denial some of us have received from the VA.

Sorry for hijacking this topic...

About the "essential in nature" quote: this is obviously there to say hypertension started first, so it would not be SC as secondary. I just read a medical article, though, that said hypertension is most often secondary to diabetes. If I remember correctly it said 60% of the time. I would fight long and hard for secondary service connection if your medical records don't prove chronic HBP before DM2 was diagnosed. Many serious complications can come from hypertension.

Hypertension is incurable, but can be managed to some degree with diet and medication, so don't confuse that with a few HBP readings over the years. (One can have high readings even from "white coat syndrome.") Also be sure to check your service medical records to see if you see a pattern of HBP readings.

• HadIt.com Elder

I can tell you that arterioscelrosis(spelling?) is also very often secondary to DMII. The Veterans Benefits Manual has very good information on secondary conditions for DMII. Heart disease is also frequently associated with DMII. I don't think the VA is going to go out of their way to find these secondary conditions, and if you die from one of them then they will deny the connection so your widow has a lot of work to prove it. I have peripheral neuropathy and DMII. The VA denied the PN saying it was not related to the DMII. I appealed that and got the connection. I think it is a pattern for them to deny these secondary conditions saying they precede the DMII. Think of the survivors that are being screwed out of benefits when the vet dies of some DMII condition not knowing their was a connection to the DMII. The VA has no incentive to make the connection. HBP, DMII, PN, and heart disease all have links.

DM is associated with hypertension. However, in reality the medical community is split on the type of association, the medical reasons for the association and which one came first - DM or the hypertension. If your doc is in the half that believes you get DM first then it is more ofter than not followed by hypertension then you will be ok. However, if you get one or have one who believes that you got hypertension first then it is more often than not followed by DM, then look out - for you are in for a ride when you ask him for a nexua statement!!!!