Ads Keep HadIt.com Online. Consider Turning Off Ad Blockers to Keep HadIt.com Online! ×

What Medication Works As Good As Alpralasom On Ptsd

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Well if you are using alprazolam or xanax for panic attacks I don't think anything works better.

I think I felt the best when I was taking effexor with a combination of clonapen. I don't take it anymore because the VA doesn't stock the continious release and the other kind was too strong for me. Almost all meds have side affects. I have tried just about everything and some are worse than others and the side affects hit people differently. Unfortunately, with these types of meds sometimes we have to try them and see how it goes. Read about your meds and keep a calender to write down side affects and rate how bad they are. Also, you can use this to tell if your meds are helping with your symptoms. You can show this to your doctor and decide together if the med is working and if the side affects are to much. Good luck and hang in there.

• 2 weeks later...

I have good luck with lorazepam (ativan). Works fast (not nearly as fast as xanax, though) and it really knocks the edge off.

They all have side effects .... that's part of your treatment. lol

I take Mirtazapine (Remeron), Queitapine Fumarate, for Nightmare Exacerbation,

and Clonazepam for Anxiety. These are my current MH drugs.

Hope this helps a vet.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Klonopin is sort of like alprazolam but it it slower and last longer. It is often used at bedtime and for other treatments like restless leg syndrom. I have never used it but know people who swear by it.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paxil is good for anxiety. It takes a few weeks for it to start working. You can use it and something like clonazepam. I take clonazepam and I like it. You have to come off slowly if you start to build a tolerance. You know I have been taking narcotics for about 8 or nine years so I know about tolerance.

• 6 months later...

stay far away from seroquil, quitapane, bad stuff, research it

Has anyone been given any medication that they can say works good on PTSD with little or no side effects. One that works as good as Alpralasom.

Danang_1969

• HadIt.com Elder

xanax can build a pretty bad addiction if you abuse it. It is fast acting unlike some of the others. I am weaning myself off oxycodone and that is hard because I have pain, and I have been taking the stuff for so long I don't feel normal without it in my system. I find the VA and private pain management doctors unhelpful in general. The private doctors want to do operations and nerve blocks because that is where the money is, and the VA just wants to give me a bottle of morphine. In this day and age you would think that they could do better with pain and anxiety disorders. Let's hope the VA does not decide that lobotomy is a cure for PTSD, or there will be a lot of guys drooling and staring at the wall. All the drugs for PTSD and pain have side effects. Most are addictive in some way or the other.

I was just taken off of Trazodone because it wasn't having any effect. Received a supply of Zolpidem Tartrate (Ambein) today. Anyone tried it?

Ruffcreek

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes, Ambien is pretty good stuff. Just be aware that it can cause amnesia sometimes. Don't take it unless you have at least 8 hours to sleep. It works fast, and you may just pass out sitting in a chair 30 minutes after you take it. No warning but you just wake up a few hours later wondering what happened. Also, rebound insomnia is a problem if you take it more than a few days. If you want to go to sleep at 10pm take it at 9:30 and you will be out.

WOW...Sounds kind of scary to me. I have been sleeping very irregular hours with the nightmares and such as many others with PTSD can testify to also. I have just gotten used to my CPAP to where it dosen't interupt my sleep. Only the nightmares, etc. Guess this should knock me out but the side effects kind of worry me. I'm going to have to do more research and talk to my non-VA Dr at my appointment on Friday.

Thanks for your comment 999.

Ruffcreek

• 2 months later...

Paxil is good for anxiety. It accepts a few weeks for it to start working. You can use it and something like clonazepam. I accept clonazepam and I like it. You have to come off slow if you start to build a margin. You know I have been taking narcotics for about 8 or nine years so I know about tolerance.

Aady

Just remember with meds that each med affects each person a different way. While Paxil worked for the previous person, it didn't help me at all. Hopefully it helps you! There aren't really any meds for PTSD per say...they are only trying to treat the symptoms of PTSD as they come up....the anxiety, the depression, the insomnia, etc. And there isn't a magic pill to treat all of those. (and that really sucks).

I've been on too many meds to count over the past 10 years...I'm very med sensitive and usually have bad side effects.

Best of luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

J. Daniels

• 3 weeks later...

Clonazepam works well for me for anxiety. I take it before bed and in the morning as well. I carry xanax with me at all times but very rarely take it. I haven't found anything so far that helps with depression. Have tried Paxil, Celexa and Cymbalta to no avail.

I see the shrink at the end of this month. My lack of sleep is beginning to become a problem again as well as frequent nightmares. I hope they can do something for that. I hate taking drugs but like most here have reached the point where I have little choice. Sure wish I could find something for the depression though.

• 4 months later...

;)

Has anyone been given any medication that they can say works good on PTSD with little or no side effects. One that works as good as Alpralasom.

Danang_1969

try the cure all drug. it works for anxiety, any and all pain, headaches, insomnia, and many other things. it is called hydromorphone (dilaudid) 8mg four times a day. good luck in getting it from the va.

• HadIt.com Elder
Clonazepam works well for me for anxiety. I take it before bed and in the morning as well. I carry xanax with me at all times but very rarely take it. I haven't found anything so far that helps with depression. Have tried Paxil, Celexa and Cymbalta to no avail.

I see the shrink at the end of this month. My lack of sleep is beginning to become a problem again as well as frequent nightmares. I hope they can do something for that. I hate taking drugs but like most here have reached the point where I have little choice. Sure wish I could find something for the depression though.

They tried me on several different things to help my depression. They finally had made the right choice with Welbutrin, at a dosage just short of causing memory loss and erectile dysfunction (or, maybe it DOES cause erectile dysfunction and memory loss.....and I just can't remember it!) ;) :D

• HadIt.com Elder

Good luck in getting off hydromorphine without going into a detox facility. It is like oxycontin and addictve as hell. All the drugs were are talking about are addictive to some extent. The anti-depressants are not really addictive like a narcotic, but they do have some effects if you stop taking them suddenly.