Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible 25 % Comp Increase

Rate this question

Berta

Question

This is all I have so far-from Colonel Dan- the report wont be available until this afternoon:

Report will be available on line at: http://www.vetscommission.org/ later this afternoon

Panel to call for 25% hike in disability pay

also read this report:

https://www.1888932-2946.ws/vetscommission/..._August2007.pdf

By Rick Maze - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Oct 3, 2007 6:01:24 EDT

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/10/mili...report_071002w/

A presidential commission will call Wednesday for an immediate 25 percent increase in veterans’ disability compensation while awaiting a larger overhaul of disability and transition benefits.

The Veterans’ Disability Benefits Commission will say the current compensation system is outdated and fails to consider the complete impact that a service-connected disability has on the life of veterans and their families. Report will be available on line at: http://www.vetscommission.org/ later this afternoon

The current system also is unnecessarily cumbersome to the point that it discourages veterans from getting the help they deserve, says the commission report, a copy of which was obtained Tuesday by the Military Times.

The 562-page report will be released Wednesday afternoon, although what happens next is unclear. Most of the recommendations, including the proposed 25 percent benefits boost, would require congressional action before they could take effect.

With the Bush administration already balking at the $4 billion increase in veterans’ health care and benefits programs being pushed by Congress, it is unlikely that administration officials would support further increases.

However, an overhaul of the veterans’ disability rating system, streamlined claims processing and an easier transition from military to veterans programs are all issues under consideration by Congress, and could end up included in the Wounded Warrior Assistance Act that lawmakers expect to pass later this year. An overhaul of the military’s complicated disability retirement and physical evaluation process is expected to be part of that bill.

The report by the 13-member commission, led by retired Army Lt. Gen. James Scott, caps more than two years of work, including several precedent-setting studies of disabled veterans and their compensation that looked at their total income and compared military and veterans’ benefits to those received by disabled workers who never served in the military.

In calling for an overhaul of the military and Department of Veterans Affairs rating systems, the commission said a revised system needs to be fair so that people who have experienced similar losses receive similar compensation. Veterans with mental disorders, including post-traumatic stress disorder, are particularly poorly served by the current rating system, the report says.

The VA ratings schedule that sets disability levels has not been changed in 62 years, and needs to be updated, the commission says, with top priority going to revising the ratings for PTSD, traumatic brain injury and other mental health and neurological body systems says. This could be done quickly, in time to help Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, while leaving a review of the rest of the ratings to roll out over five years.

The commission comes down squarely on the side of veterans on several controversial issues. For example, it supports allowing disabled retirees to receive full veterans’ disability compensation and military retired pay when they are eligible for both, and to allow survivors to receive their full veterans’ and military survivors’ benefits.

On both of those issues, the Pentagon has resisted efforts in Congress to allow both payments in full, although in recent years lawmakers have been phasing out the mandatory offsets in one pay or the other that had been on the books for decades.

One recommendation that may not please veterans calls for periodic reviews of case in which disability pay is based, in part, on the fact that a veteran’s disability prohibits him or her from holding a job.

When former VA Secretary R. James Nicholson made a similar recommendation several years ago, veterans went wild about the government trying to cut their payments.

The commission calls for periodical and comprehensive evaluations of disabled veterans’ employability status, and a way to slowly wean veterans off benefits if it is possible for them to return to work at some point.

• Answers 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Re:

Ed

This reminds me of CRSC and CRDC If you aere 50 percent and retires you can collect both 40% nothing

Jim

Hi,

The Concurrent Retirement and Disability Payments (CRDP) program requires the total disabilities to be at least 50%. The Combat Related Special Compensation program (CRDP) requires

• Retired with 20 yrs Active or Reserve Duty;
  • Receiving retired pay;
  • Retired pay must be offset by VA payments;
  • A 10%+ disability rating; and
  • At least one combat-related disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

There are enough offsets in the system as it is. I get a disability pension from civil service and it is offset by SSDI. When I could not work any more because of my SC disability I had to fight for every single thing I got including the civil service pension, SSDI and TDIU. My civil servie pension is a joke. Any more offsets and I will be in the poorhouse.

There are enough offsets in the system as it is. I get a disability pension from civil service and it is offset by SSDI. When I could not work any more because of my SC disability I had to fight for every single thing I got including the civil service pension, SSDI and TDIU. My civil servie pension is a joke. Any more offsets and I will be in the poorhouse.

Re: The Combat Related Special Compensation program (CRSC) requires

• Retired with 20 yrs Active or Reserve Duty;
  • Receiving retired pay;
  • Retired pay must be offset by VA payments [ADDED: this is a preliminary requirement--the combat related portion of the disabilities will not longer be off-set by VA payments, i.e. the portion of retired pay that WAS offset will now be received and the retiree will ALSO receive the CRSC];
  • A 10%+ disability rating; and
  • At least one combat-related disability.
  • BOTTOM LINE: AT LEAST 50% DISABILITY FOR CRDP

• AT LEAST 10% DISABILITY FOR CRSC

oneshot wrote:

"I don't think veterans should worry about anything that the these idiots try to do to reduce our benefits,..."

Well I don't think a truely disabled vet has anything to worry about...but after reading the report there are some good points brought out. Esp. re-evaluation UI I think there should be a set guildline in est. the critera for reval...that after UI is granted that a re-eval is done one year later...if no change...then one final re-val in 3 years end of it. The reason for a re-eval has merit...depending on the disablility and I am not talking about conditions that are terminal or blantly will not improve with time but those conditions that if a vet was able to go through physical rehab to improve there quaility of life then maybe they will beable to be gainfully employed...no veteran or non veteran wants to be disalbed...many disabled vets would give anything to be able to be whole again...

Now I going to type something that some of you may not appricate but I will type it anyways...I would say that most of you know at least one person who is UI or P/T and you have thought to yourself...how can that guy be collecting P/T or UI...as he whistles his way to work! or lets say the guy was granted P/T or U/I for a back issue...and there he is in his workshop overhauling a pet muscle car project...hell I wish I could lift that engin part and I have a good back (that is just an example to make a point)...I am not saying that if you are UI or P/T that you should not be able to enjoy hobbies...but keep in mind if you are UI for a disabiity regarding a condition why would you do something that would further injury your pre-existing condition...and If I thought that who else is thinking that...

If you are UI or PT then you should not be working a full time job...and believe me there are vets out there that do...if the VA deems you to be UI or P/T there was a reson for it...those are the one's that have something to be concerned about not the disabled veterans that have been granted UI or P/T and struggle everyday to just get though that day.

Life is what it is...there are some bad apples that will disrupt the apple cart for the rest of us...but my Dad once said..."why does a person lock there car door? to keep an honest person honest! a crook will get in regardless if you lock the door or not.

something to think about

MT