Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Va Experience

Rate this question

Big

Question

I have had back problems for many years.(non service)and had back surgery a few years ago(non Va. hospital.)

I started using Va. medical treatment 21/2 years ago with my bad back being the main subject. Over a two year period I finally got to the MRI stage and was seen by a neurologist

He told me there was nothing he could do. I asked my primary doc. for a second opinion and was told I could'nt get one at the Va. and I was sent to pain management.

I went to an outside neurologist and was in surgery within three weeks.

That was just two months ago and now the pain is gone other than the soreness from surgery.

Thank God I have ins. because i will not use Va. medical anymore.

Big

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Goodness, goodness, I almost swallowed my chewing gum and about to turn blue from lack of oxygen. I think that it was intended to be a joke that turned sour.

Liz,

Take Care!! God Bless!

Josephine

(Betty)

Pete - be careful what you ask for. Remember if they offered a universal champus type deal the universe is a whole lot bigger than the small world of ChampVA.......My point is that a few million would want the same which would do a number on your little world. Just my opinion...........not meant to be political or cause a ruckus my friend.....

ok ok I know this is off the subject....

but Liz...you are a hoot and I just loved your reply!! humor is infectious...and sometimes that is the right medicine to get your through the day...God Bless

MT

• HadIt.com Elder

Big, If you use the VA and you have Insurance and use the VA, they should not be able to deny you a service even if it is elective. You are considered a Paying customer and you are not involved in the Budget game since they are guaranteed payment. Let them know this.

Liz, I feel for you since I have the same condition left hand except for thumb and forefinger.

Mine is median neuropathy from c5 c6 nerve root impingement. I suggest yours is same location but ulnar nerve impingement. Has anyone ever used the term CTS?

If it is from the neck and it has been ongoing for a period of 6 months or longer it is likely permanent damage. ( Neurosurgeon wrote this in my records)

Bottom line is that if you are in pain and need a procedure performed, If you have insurance including medicare, get outside of the VA to get it done. Always let the VA know about it.

One final item, From a moderators standpoint, lets keep this topic real. it is interesting and I dont want to get off track and have to close it.

Edited by jbasser

Question is there an avenue where the VA says one thing and you get a second opinion from outside. Isn't there someone to go to at the VA and say OK I have this from outside now what do you say? I mean like the patient advocate or someone?

Stillhere