VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Reporters Looking For Veterans

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

pass it on

1. Reporters Looking for Veterans

Veterans for Common SenseFrom: Paul Sullivan at Veterans for Common Sense

Sent: Friday, October 05, 2007 6:15 PM

Subject: Reporters Looking for Veterans

Request for Veteran Interviews

Two reporters are seeking veterans and family members to interview about their problems dealing with military and VA healthcare.

If you want to volunteer in the next few days, please contact the reporter directly. Please limit your contact to one reporter. Please remember that you may be asked to document your honorable wartime military service (such as your DD214), or you may be asked very personal questions that may appear on TV or in a newspaper.

Here is a list of current press requests:

1. Kimberly Dozier, CBS National News, Washington, DC. If you believe you have PTSD but were discharged with a 'personality disorder,' especially if you earned medals and had a good record of service. You should also have clear records from highschool etc., before entering the military. E-Mail: KGD@cbsnews.com

2. Lynn Kellermann, WCBV-TV, ABC News, Boston. If you have PTSD and are having difficulty getting VA mental health appointments and/or VA disability benefits in the VT, NH, MA, RI, CT area. E-Mail: lkellermann@hearst.com

Sincerely,

Paul Sullivan

Executive Director

Veterans for Common Sense

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I was part of a story about recuiting, but I don't think I'd like to comment on the VA medical negatively in my OWN experience.

Now this is MY experience.... others differ and that I do understand but since I have been in the medical system since 2002, I have had excellent service. In a surgery that was a repeat of one done by a civilian doctor 6 years prior (pylonodial cyst) the VA did a MUCH better job of the surgery. I moved to a local clinic and I have the same doctors every time. I like my doctor, and believe it or not she returns my calls. It may take a day but she does. My physciatrist is American and speeks english... understandably!

In short while I think the medical care on a one-to-one basis is less "personal" at the VA medical centers... i.e. constantly changing PCPs and Psych from India... their care is still good, to excellent IN MY EXPERIENCE.

We have an outstanding group of dedicated people here in Tennessee, and I make a point of telling them that....

I guess we are lucky... the facilites are well maintained, and constantly some parts are undergoing renovation... the doctors seem competent and normally get everything right... the nurses seem compassionate and handle most f the doctor's paperwork on time... the Nasville VAMC is connected with Vanderbilt University and they have an outstanding neurology department.

Now I am NOT discussing C&P's... just nortmal care, and I'll tell ya, I am really pleased so far. Sure I have spent an hour or even two waiting in the emergency room, but I've done that in the civilian world as well. In fact every negative thing I have encountered in the VA system, I have also seen in civilian care... so, I dont instantly get upset when I have to wait.

Anyway... that my opinion, even tho its off topic.

As for the reporters.. well speak your mind if you feel you have something they want... and you feel the need. I wouldn't worry too much about reprisals... I just dont see the VA caring that much to bother... the VARO that is..

Guest morgan

It's nice to hear that some veterans are getting "excellent" care through the VA system. You deserve it. But all veterans deserve it no matter where they live.

We all know that mistakes happen in both VA medical centers and in private hospitals; even so, should we just accept that? I strongly believe that NO ONE should allow below standard of care from any medical facility without a fight. And with all due respect to those who disagree with me, we certainly shouldn't say, "Oh, well, we should be grateful for what we have." Or, "I don't want to get on the VA radar..." That kind of fear paralyzes any advance for improved medical care where it IS needed for veterans.

If you are getting excellent care, how about making noise about that. Call or write your representatives and the VA and let them know what is RIGHT about your location. Who knows the shock might cause them to take a serious look at a specific facility and try to duplicate it throughout the VA system.

Fighting substandard care is a hard, time-consuming task; and sure, some jerks retaliate, but I believe we should confront those who are incompetent. Some doctors bury their mistakes.

• HadIt.com Elder

We should be grateful that they provide this service to us?

Hello!

The service is provided to us as a result of "OUR" service to this country. The respect and gratitude of this "NATION", "DEMANDS" "WE" receive it with a respectful attitude.

Any VETERAN that steps out of line without just cause is severely dealt with by the DVA.

It is my opinion veterans just looking for a name, should think twice about contacting a reporter, because there "will" be repercussions.

If a Veteran can not find any other means of dealing with abusive, disrespectfully, lousy, health care from a VA employee, Doctor or otherwise, by going through the chain of command, than bend a reporters ear all you need, to "get er done."

Stopping the mistreatment should be the priority of all of us, Veteran and DVA employee.

They deserve it attitude by "employees", should be reported to supervisors.

ALLAN