Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Demand An Explanation!

Rate this question

jmack

Question

hadit members:

I decided to make this post because of a response earlier that I made to a member. There are a lot of military units out there that really mess up alot of young veterans that have to discontinue their military service for reasons prior to their expiration term of service. Please advise those who are close to you or someone you care about not to be satisfied with only an "honorable, honorable under general conditions or anything that suggest that block 24 of DD 214 is the only important part of the document, because its not. They need to have the DD 214 explained to them before signing. They could very well be signing a document that suggest, yes, "we are granting you an honorable discharge but your seperation code, block 26 could mean something derogatory enough to prevent veteran's benefit. As well as block 28, "reason for seperation. Spread the word so that none of our younger vets get screwed by the system, whether intentional or unintentional. Hope this be of help in our quest for "no veteran left behind".

jmack

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Sorry, just to play devils advocate for a second. The point is simple to kill any life time benefits before they start period. It used to be very easy to get a rating right off the bat and out the door on a medical for something like these, but now nearly impossible due to this new war on terror is being terror on its own people. I have severe physical and health problems service connected served close to 7 1/2 years active USA and have to take a seat in the back and along number. My wife has a uncle who did half basic training during early 70's found out he was diabetic at 22 years old and receives 100% IU and never worked a day, which makes me sick by the way. Those days are gone. The people who really need it have to wait and fight hard for it. It doesn't seem fair but that because it isn't.RC

Just to add- this idea that we are all waiting so long for claims resolve due to the Iraq and Afnagistan vet's claims is simply not borne out by fact-

the VA Monday Morning Reports:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/201/reports/MMWL...ber%2001-07.xls

Do NOT show some big increase in claims for most of the VAROs- my VARO suddenly has less claims that I thought-

Many newly returning vets claims were handled by Winston Salem anyhow-as well as the VAROs closest to where these vets were getting VA medical inhouse care.

Pre discharge VA claims- show as not the incredibly high amount that the VA blames the delays on.

The VA delays and the backlog started years ago before GWOT and Iraq War.

Yep, but... they are hiring another 1000 raters, but expect them to take 18-24 months before they become experienced enough to start making a difference. About that time, there should be another surge in applications so.... well just have to see.