Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssa For Disable Veterans

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Disable Veteran didn't pay enough in SSA to get SSA or SSDI that what SSA told him on the phone to get benefits. Is that true? What should he do? He need help to get SSA

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cowgirl,

No, 1978 is just the date I was medically-retired (with 30%) from the USCG, not the date when I worked last. I had been in undergrad and then grad school for the early part of the previous 10-year period the SS people looked at, and "working marginally" after I graduated from grad school for the latter part of that 10-year period, so I just didn't have enough SS quarters to qualify for SSDI. Being in school full-time I wasn't working at all and when I got out, I only worked "marginally." That "dry spell" ate up most all of that "rolling" 10-year period SS looks at.

So I guess my original response to the OP in that other thread stands: "Yes, it is true." :-(

Thanks all,

-- John D.

If your service ended in 1978 and you havent been able to work since then, the question becomes why havent you applied? Not nosey, just trying to help sort it out here on the board. Have you at least worked intermittently at a job that paid some social security? or health issues? or?

I too have been trying to get my quarters up to 20 in last few years before my body and brain go kaput. SSI isnt an option for me. I believe SSDI is correct, but I still have to qualify. I am not TDIU at teh VA yet, for you that may be a "help", though I'm not sure.Keep posting,cg

"As I said, I was turned down for SSDI when I applied for it a few years ago because they said I hadn't enough quarters the previous 10 years. So I didn't pursue it further. My last military service ended in 1978."

-- John D.

Edited by cloudcroft