Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssa For Disable Veterans

Rate this question

Maurice

Question

Disable Veteran didn't pay enough in SSA to get SSA or SSDI that what SSA told him on the phone to get benefits. Is that true? What should he do? He need help to get SSA

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for the info...

That helps you over your working life re: your SS earnings, but how does military service 30 years ago help if the SS people only look at your prevous 10 years? I'm still not getting it.

As I said, I was turned down for SSDI when I applied for it a few years ago because they said I hadn't enough quarters the previous 10 years. So I didn't pursue it further. My last military service ended in 1978.

-- John D.

• HadIt.com Elder

If your service ended in 1978 and you havent been able to work since then, the question becomes why havent you applied? Not nosey, just trying to help sort it out here on the board. Have you at least worked intermittently at a job that paid some social security? or health issues? or?

I too have been trying to get my quarters up to 20 in last few years before my body and brain go kaput. SSI isnt an option for me. I believe SSDI is correct, but I still have to qualify. I am not TDIU at teh VA yet, for you that may be a "help", though I'm not sure.Keep posting,cg

"As I said, I was turned down for SSDI when I applied for it a few years ago because they said I hadn't enough quarters the previous 10 years. So I didn't pursue it further. My last military service ended in 1978."

-- John D.

• Founder

i've seen this also, this brings up a good point to remember if you are totally disabled for over 6 months and the doctor doesn't expect you to improve enough to be able to work. apply for social security, so many veterans wait - personally i couldn't do the paperwork i was in pretty bad shape i let them sit in a drawer for over a year before a friend found out and took me through it step by step, i got my social security pretty quickly the first time, but i did loose about a years worth of pay.

http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/dqualify.htm

There is a lot of info here at hadit on SSA as well as many SSA web sites and forums.

I believe that someone has to have worked within 5 years of applying for SSA and they are strict on the credit criteria.

Then again SSI is also something that they will consider as part of any SSA application-

the disability requirements are the same as SSA but this is benefit is limited by any other income and might have the same credit reqirements too.

The SSA regs are all on line.

Thanks for the info...

That helps you over your working life re: your SS earnings, but how does military service 30 years ago help if the SS people only look at your prevous 10 years? I'm still not getting it.

As I said, I was turned down for SSDI when I applied for it a few years ago because they said I hadn't enough quarters the previous 10 years. So I didn't pursue it further. My last military service ended in 1978.

-- John D.

Sorry, I was just looking at the social security increase (added "earnings") that is applicable to military service. Obviously it doesn't add the quarters you need.