Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rated 0% Ptsd

Rate this question

Doc John

Question

Hey y'all,

I am on my second VA decision for PTSD and MDD since April. The C&P in March said I have major depression " which more likely than not began during my service" as an EMT and Navy 8404 Field Medical Tech at Okinawa and Camp Pendleton in the early 1970's.

Right after my DRO hearing (where I got the 0%) my VSR filed a new claim (VAFORM 21-4138) for

Panic Aattacks ,Anxiety, MDD, and Depression. I wonder if I get a new claim iniation date that will start the clock again?

Will I still have my SC for the PTSD dated April 2005 if it is not on the new appeal form?

At this point I have made an appointment for an IMO with an ex-VA psychiatrist to get a letter to rebutt the 0% SC rating the DRO gave me. (Thanks to john999)

I am considering an attorney and thought one of the other hadit members might know a pro bono or dirt cheap lawyer who is familiar with VA comp appeals in the St.Petersburg/Tampa, Florida area.

I have spoken to one Atty who wants 20% of any settlement. Is that reasonable?

How would he get paid, by me or VA?

I feel like Josephine- like "I just want to go for it".

Thanks, Doc John

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know any lawyers who do VA claims in Tampabay. I think a lot of them are waiting for everything to become clear as far as payments.

I agree withe TESTVET- I sure never saw anything like that either- "0" for PTSD is an oxymoron.

Any vet or widow who has filed an NOD after June 21, 2007 can obtain a lawyer under the new attorney for vet regs.

I think any good lawyer would need not only the med recs etc but also want an IMO anyhow so getting one is a good idea-make sure the IMO doctor follows the IMO criteria I posted here-available under the search feature.

• Founder

from the schedule for rating disabilities http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-....1.1.5.2.109.74

0% "A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication"

though i've never seen 0% for ptsd

• HadIt.com Elder

Doc John,

I wish to God that I could bring a lawyer into my claim. I would definitly consider that 20% more than reasonable.

I will be honest with you, if I could turn this stupid claim of mine over to a lawyer right now, I would consider 50% a bargain, I woud jump for joy to turn this trunk full of papers from 1978 to date to someone else. I feel like striking a match to the whole mess and throwing up my hands and calling it quits.

Go for it before the VA drives you crazy as they have me.

Always,

Josephine

T

Tbird,

I went to that link and read :

"A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication".

The problem with THE DRO decision is that my medical records clearly show that I am constantly on at least one, and right now, two antidepressants, and xanax and I can only work a four hour day at very structured types of tasks of a repetetive nature. I have only one close friend and cannot sustain long lasting relationships or even acquantances without screwing things up...except my second marriage which is going on 15 years because of my wife's understanding and commitment to our vows.

On meds I am probably 30%. Off meds I would be an in-patient or a cell mate somewhere.

I will prevail.

Thanks, Brother.

Doc John,

I wish to God that I could bring a lawyer into my claim. I would definitly consider that 20% more than reasonable.

I will be honest with you, if I could turn this stupid claim of mine over to a lawyer right now, I would consider 50% a bargain, I woud jump for joy to turn this trunk full of papers from 1978 to date to someone else. I feel like striking a match to the whole mess and throwing up my hands and calling it quits.

Go for it before the VA drives you crazy as they have me.

Always,

Josephine

Josephine,

You are preaching to the choir. I am with you on this subject 100% and I, too, have been dealing with the psychiatrists since 1981, about five years after my first active duty enlistment.

Where I really messed up first was in not going to the M.D.s in the service (out of shame and guilt) and then by waiting until 2000 to file my first claim with the VA. Instead I got treatment with IMOs on my own insurance, two of whom have retired and my records no longer exist.

The Department of the Navy Historical section has helped me get records from Judge Advocate General but there is always a whited out space where the names of witnesses, coworkers, and patients I treated, got "dedacted"(sp).

After I get the next IMO letter conforming to what the VA demands, I am off to the lawyer. A 20% contingency fee is more reasonable every minute!

Thanks,

Doc John