Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Envelope Please......

Rate this topic

68chstiger

I have only posted a couple of times, mostly just read what everyone is doing on their claims.

I am a Viet Nam vet with Hodgkin's disease and I filed my claim on June 6th and recieved my approval notice saying I had been granted 100% with an effective date of July 1. This will be good for 6 months after finishing treatment. The letter said at that time I would be re-evaluated and rated on any residuals. Without HADIT I could not have gotten this done so quickly. Thanks so much for everyone posting advice and links to assist in getting this award. I did everything online and without any representation. My next question is, what exactly would residuals be in this case?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I also forgot to mention this. I called on Thursday to inquire about my claim, the guy I talked to said they were waiting on a form I was supposed to send in, so I get busy and get the form they requested sent in that same day. Then on Friday I go to the mailbox and there is my approval letter saying I had been granted 100%. What was this guy looking at on the computer screen, it had to be in their system that I had been approved, makes you wonder about the VA employees....

This BVA case mght show a little of what the residuals are:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files3/0610464.txt

If you do a search at the BVA other Hodgkins disease claims will pop up and give you an idea of the residuals and how they rate them.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

68, Rememmber that you can still use a POA to assist you in your claims even if you do it yourself. I did the same as you but I used the AL as an information source. They did tell me about 10 days before I received my letter.

Anyway, great Job on your claim and I hope you feel better. The Residuals are also listed on the schedule for rating disabilities.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

You might want to have your own medical evidence from your doctor to support the extent of your residuals. I would not accept what the VA has to say without being sure that you are being rated for the full extent of the residuals. The VA has a way of low balling us. Don't be afraid to appeal any residual rating.

Yes -you did great on your claim-

question- did you ever apply for VA comp for the Hodgkins in the past and get denied? If so your EED in this decision is probably wrong.Will explain if you did get denied in the past.

I am always thinking Nehmer on AO claims like this-

Also I am wondering this about the EED-did you have medical evidence that could have possibly warranted a better EED? Did you have any SSA award for the Hodgkins that showed total disability due to it- prior to the VA EED date? Did VA get that information?

The Nehmer Stipulation and Court Order threw the regular EED regs out the window for thousands of Agent Orange vets and widows-

Your EED is probably correct on all accounts but if the VA had significant medical evidence to warrant at least a year more retro- you could NOD this decision and raise that issue.

I always use my husband's case as example.Not Nehmer-in his case- but established VA case law-

SSA awarded him Nov 1991 as EED for PTSD.

He asked for higher rating in claim filed in late 1992.Had 30% PTSD SC.

In the 1997 decision (posthumous one) the VA awarded him 100% P & T for PTSD back to Nov 1991-the same date that the SSA ,by medical evidence, had decided his 100% PTSD began.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.