Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Iris Response.....

Rate this question

Sidney56

Question

I sent a request through the Iris system to find out the status of an appeal and receved the following response:

11-7-07

Mr. Mclean:

Thank you for your inquiry to the Department of Veterans Affairs. Due to the sensitivity/personal nature of the information you are requesting, we are unable to provide a response electronically. Please contact our office at 1-800-827-1000 or by mail at 251 North Main Street, Winston Salem, NC 27155.

Sincerely,

A. Stallworth for

R.S. Burke Jr.

Veteran Service Center Manager

Is this a normal response for this type of inquiry? Every time I call the 800 # I get different answers.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I totally disagree with this post. First, the IRIS request does go to the VA office that handles your claim, so they will have access to your records and second usually a good way to have a record of your inquiry (unlike a phone call) is good ammo later if the info you received isn't correct.

Steve

Unfortunately, you will NOT get a good (correct) answer from an IRIS inquiree. The people that answer IRIS inquirees do NOT have access to the current information on your claim or file.

Thats the bottom line, unfortunately. IRIS is nothing, not legitimate, untrue. BEWARE. What they tell you is untrue. I recently did various IRIS inquirees and they all (100%) turned-out untrue (false). They will tell you something and it will be false.

They told me that I do not have a claim pending for a SCed condition, but when I received my entire copy of my C-file, it was all there, stamp-dated that the VARO had received the claim with the supporting evidence...... geeeezzzzzz AMAZING.... the games they play. :D

I have had varying degrees of information quality from the IRIS system.

I have never had them refuse to provide any information.

They have provided information and when I questioned its accuracy they simply stated they provided the information and the inquiry is closed.

if they cant update you on the status of a claim, what can they use the system for??

Best regards,

Tyler

• HadIt.com Elder
I totally disagree with this post. First, the IRIS request does go to the VA office that handles your claim, so they will have access to your records and second usually a good way to have a record of your inquiry (unlike a phone call) is good ammo later if the info you received isn't correct.

Steve

Steve, I dont mean to be negative but IRIS inquiries listed on the contact va form with spacific questions are routed to the Service Center Manager of the Regional office. It is up to the Veteran to put the state in the blocks.

here is how to do it.

WWW.VA.GOV BOTTOM OF PAGE SAYS CONTACT va. FILL OUT ALL INFORMATION CORRECTLY. Pay attention to the state list. Put the Claim number in and make your comments.

You should get a response in a day or two.

If your answer is not satisfactory, have your VSR physically walk to the RO to get your answer.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

let me add my 2 cents on the subject, since ive contacted them 15 times in the last 30 days...the latest info i got was " your statement of case in regards to your 1151 claim was received on oct. 26 2007 thank you for your inquiry...my take on it is they have limited access to info, how ever their real job I'm told is to answer any questions you have in claim filing procedures etc,..though they have the ability to make notes on your behalf when you call them..this i know.i live 100yds from the st. pete RO and sometimes too lazy to walk over there or the office is busy..i got a kick out of the reply that said "have your VSO walk there>>... :D peace williamn

william

• HadIt.com Elder

I have, generally, received very responsive and timely answers from the IRIS.

Of course, like anything else, it's going to matter WHERE your local VARO is, their workload, their supervisors, etc. Kinda, just like you can take your Caddy into one dealership and get really good service.....take it to the one in the next town, and they suck.

Williamn, you do not indicate WHAT you asked them, for them to reply as they did?

If it's too sensitive for you to tell us..........then I feel that the reply from the IRIS inquiry was probably a legitimate response.

and, no, I don't want to know.

just call them.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph

• HadIt.com Elder

William, Veterans Service Organizations have offices in the same buildings as the RO. Usually right across the hall. I have made them go check several times.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.