Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi Time Frame

Rate this question

labonte1000

Question

Hi, I'm just wondering how long will it take to get SSDI, once I get a lawyer. Do I have to get my doctor to say that i'm disabled. I have 10% disability due to generalized anxiety disorder. But since then it has gotten worse. I haven't worked since july of 2006. I haven't been to mental health yet, But i made a appointment for December 11th. What do I need from the doctor? Please give me time frame, once applied for, roughly?

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I'm sorry but your the first person that I've ever heard that took 2 1/2 years on an initial decision. An initial decision usually takes between 3-6 months and then if your disapproved and ask for reconsideration this is where the long wait usually happens.

the 2 1/2 years was for apply to AJ approval but really i was already IU from the VA i already had 4 doctors saying the same thing and still SS let it drag out as long as they can ... i never saw a SS doctor the reason for my first and second rejection was according to the SS people as long as i could look up my meds on a computer and as long as i could book my own airline flight i was not so disabled to get SSD

and somewhere out there was a job i could do.. what gave me an appoval at AJ was my doctor said i could not work at any job full time.. with the clincher the words full time...

Edited by robert51

• HadIt.com Elder

Robert is exactly right, It also took me 2 1/2 years to get it.

The time frame goes like this:

File claim and receive first denial 6 months

Appeal claim and receive 2nd denial 3 months.

Appeal to ALJ stage to actual hearing 21 months.

What you should know.

You must meet a listing level impairment to get it on the first try.

SSA denies 60 percent of all cases. Of those 40 percent win at the ALJ stage.

SSA can and will discriminate based on age, especially if you are younger than 55.

They will have a Vocational Expert at your hearing.

Psycological issues are a lot easier to win than actual physical impairments.

You need to get an attorney, get one that specializes in SSD cases.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.