Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I Refuse/decline To Participate

Rate this question

tanker31

Question

My psychiatrist cancelled my appointment ( I had been seeing him every 6 months for 2 and 1/2 years ), and instead I received a new appointment to attend the trauma recovery program. I have come to accept my illness, and am ok with taking the prescribed meds. and living the life I have been delt. Seeing the psychaitrist 2Xs a year is enough. I do not want to attend/participate in the program ( Trauma Recovery ). I have already attended one of the Hospital's courses---group course, met 1 time a week for 8 weeks, run by a social worker. I do not do good in groups.

Do I have the right to NOT participate/attend this program. If I do not attend/participate, will my benefits/award be in jeporady? How do I go about letting the Trauma Recovery Program personnel know my feelings about this without getting screwed. Is there a person at the VA Hospital that is supposed to help vets that find themselves in this type of situation? Iam not ducking anything, but what good is a program like this going to do for a guy who suffered with PTSD for 40 years? As you can see from my profile, Iam 100%IU ( P&T awarded last year )59 yrs. old. How do I "opt out" of further MENTAL TREATMENT by the VA hospital, and still maintain my other medical benefits and my award.

Thanks,

Tanker31

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Well, first of all, it seems to me like your doctor should have included YOU in his decision to change your treatment regimen.

Having said that, yes, you can refuse ANY treatment at ANY time. What the consequences of refusal might be......I have NO idea.

And, there is one other option, a very GOOD option....for I have received especially good treatment and respect from the Patient Advocate staff at the VA Medical Center that I go to.

Talk to them, explain to them, just as you have here, with us.

Well, first of all, it seems to me like your doctor should have included YOU in his decision to change your treatment regimen.

Having said that, yes, you can refuse ANY treatment at ANY time. What the consequences of refusal might be......I have NO idea.

And, there is one other option, a very GOOD option....for I have received especially good treatment and respect from the Patient Advocate staff at the VA Medical Center that I go to.

Talk to them, explain to them, just as you have here, with us.

My advice Tanker, go at least once to show you tried then there know doubt to anyone you tried no matter how painfully it is as long as they VA don't stick you in a combat simulator. To face your fears. No offense, RC

My psychiatrist cancelled my appointment ( I had been seeing him every 6 months for 2 and 1/2 years ), and instead I received a new appointment to attend the trauma recovery program. I have come to accept my illness, and am ok with taking the prescribed meds. and living the life I have been delt. Seeing the psychaitrist 2Xs a year is enough. I do not want to attend/participate in the program ( Trauma Recovery ). I have already attended one of the Hospital's courses---group course, met 1 time a week for 8 weeks, run by a social worker. I do not do good in groups.

Do I have the right to NOT participate/attend this program. If I do not attend/participate, will my benefits/award be in jeporady? How do I go about letting the Trauma Recovery Program personnel know my feelings about this without getting screwed. Is there a person at the VA Hospital that is supposed to help vets that find themselves in this type of situation? Iam not ducking anything, but what good is a program like this going to do for a guy who suffered with PTSD for 40 years? As you can see from my profile, Iam 100%IU ( P&T awarded last year )59 yrs. old. How do I "opt out" of further MENTAL TREATMENT by the VA hospital, and still maintain my other medical benefits and my award.

Thanks,

Tanker31

dont know ... i was made 70% IU and PT in late 2004 moved to the philippines in 2005 with wife and kids.. becasue there is no VA here on the island of CEBU i chose to see a doctor on my own 2 times a month just to unload and i guess to share what is in my head... well the VA must of thought ... we got you ha ha ha you are not getting treatment and sent me a ... New CP to see if you still are rated so and so or you will be re rated.. well i got a report from my doctor and took it with me to the CP and blew them out of the water... so they are sneaky if you stop treatment they will assume you some how cured yourself... dont let them do that to you ... keep seeing the doctor at least 4 times a year ...

Tanker,you are 100% TP,its up to you to participate, if you don't want to go, you don't have too. The VA is just trying to uphold it promises taking care of it veterans.

mobie

• HadIt.com Elder

VHA Handbook 1004.1, 1/29/03, VHA Informed Consent for Clinical Treatments and Procedures

RESPONSIBLE OFFICE: National Center for Ethics in Health Care http://www.ethics.va.gov/ETHICS/about/index.asp

Promoting Voluntary Decision-Making. The practitioner must promote the patient’s voluntary decision-making during the informed consent process. The practitioner must convey that the patient is free to choose among any recommended treatments and procedures, including no treatment, or to revoke a prior consent, without prejudice to the patient’s access to future health care or other benefits.

ViewPublication_1_.pdf

Edited by Wings