Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Newbie W/disability Q

Rate this question

armygrl

Question

Hi peoples,

this place is of great knowledge and I wish I would have found this before!

I just need a general idea on my situation

ETS'd 90'. Round # 2 Desert Storm...ETS'd 91' I had back problems from in the Army. It took VA until 2000 to do a CT scan, I get a 10%. The next 4 years I go through many painful days, Lumbar shots, surgery (diskectomy L5-S1) in 2004 (via private doctor) VA pays me 100% for 2 months convalescent and up to 40% rating. Still not better, continue w/private Orthopaedic, shots again and May 2007 my 2nd back surgery (diskectomy L4-L5) I go in July to ask for 100% convelecence for my 25 days out and an increase since I am actually feeling worse....both sets of 1st 3 toes are numb, ankle joints not functioning due to nerve damage. Just received my denial and a decrease from 40% to 10% they said I am better and no more Lumbosacral back pain? My private doctor was furious they based my pain/and back situation on using a goniometer which calculates degress you can bend. Some days I can bend forward more than others...........some days I cannot get out of bed.

The C&P doctor was very disinterested in what I was explaining to her, I felt she was judging me in a personal manner and had no interest in wanting to help me.

Lumbosacral pain vs. Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis. Still in pain and I am 6 months post op.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi peoples,

this place is of great knowledge and I wish I would have found this before!

I just need a general idea on my situation

ETS'd 90'. Round # 2 Desert Storm...ETS'd 91' I had back problems from in the Army. It took VA until 2000 to do a CT scan, I get a 10%. The next 4 years I go through many painful days, Lumbar shots, surgery (diskectomy L5-S1) in 2004 (via private doctor) VA pays me 100% for 2 months convalescent and up to 40% rating. Still not better, continue w/private Orthopaedic, shots again and May 2007 my 2nd back surgery (diskectomy L4-L5) I go in July to ask for 100% convelecence for my 25 days out and an increase since I am actually feeling worse....both sets of 1st 3 toes are numb, ankle joints not functioning due to nerve damage. Just received my denial and a decrease from 40% to 10% they said I am better and no more Lumbosacral back pain? My private doctor was furious they based my pain/and back situation on using a goniometer which calculates degress you can bend. Some days I can bend forward more than others...........some days I cannot get out of bed.

The C&P doctor was very disinterested in what I was explaining to her, I felt she was judging me in a personal manner and had no interest in wanting to help me.

Lumbosacral pain vs. Degenerative Disc Disease, Spinal Stenosis. Still in pain and I am 6 months post op.

Armygirl, I'm very sorry to hear this and it sounds that your problem and mine are similar in this area, did you go with any one to your C&P did you take any medical evidence with you, have you file for SS and are you working or have a job waiting for you? I got released from service with a medical in 95 for same reasons @ 40% I've had injection and months of therapy through out the years, if I had to say I think it was a good move having a civilian do your surgery in stead of letting the VA practice on you trust me when I say I don't think you'd been better off. I know how you feel you come for an answer as close to what your going through to make you feel better about your situation. I have been 40% for years and in fear of being totally disabled I worked till I can't get around well and haven't hit a lick in over 2 years now and personally feel as I'm being punished for not playing the system for increase, increase, increase there for I have no problems or not as bad as THEY THINK THEY ARE, does this ring a bell? There is a lot or valuable and very knowledgeable people here to get you on track and even make a few friends along the way and if one does not know it another one will. you are not alone. One piece of advice I can give to you that was given to me is be as proactive as you can, in a wheel chair if you have too no one will work as hard as you and no one knows your pain more than you...I wish you and yours the best.GOODLUCK.. RC

Thank you for your reply and understanding.

I am just dumbfounded that after all my medical paperwork to include 7 Lumbar Epidural shot series and 2 surgeries in 2004 and 2007 they would reduce me and tell me I am fine? I thought my private doctor would do me more justice as he is the best in Orlando and I would not clog up the VA docs...besides I did not want the VA cutting on me. Since 1998 I have used my private insurance because I get in faster, I get better results and I trust a spine doctor better than an MD.

"Just received my denial and a decrease from 40% to 10% they said I am better and no more Lumbosacral back pain? My private doctor was furious they based my pain/and back situation on using a goniometer which calculates degress you can bend. Some days I can bend forward more than others...........some days I cannot get out of bed"

This is outrageous-

I think you should ask them to reconsider that decision and also send them an Independent Medical Opinion from your private doctor-

There is a criteria for private Independent Medical Opinions here at hadit under the search feature.

Also if you cannot work due to this- you should apply for SSA and also TDIU_ the 100% comp rate- Total Disability due to Individual Unempoyability due to your service connected condition.

If your doctor would state that you are unemployable due to this condition-with a full medical rationale- you could attach his IMO, and the TDIU form to your request for reconsideration.

Im sorry to hear this. Im also out with my back. Had lumbar diskectomy of L5-S1 in 2006. Pain is horrible every day. It is not right but from what I have found, the VA will rate this condition pretty much completely based off of the measurements from the goinometer. If you go in there and touch your toes, you are done for plain and simple no matter what surgeries youve had or what your on or what you say. The measurement is what they use. When you go in for your C&P, you need to show them what your reach is on a bad day. If you happen to have a great day, dont go in there and touch your toes. Go in there and it needs to be one of your bad days.

You should get your private Dr to give an IMO and state how bad your condition is and have him remeasure you with a goinometer. The measurement is basically the rating. Thats what Ive found out over the last few years of dealing with it.

I applied for and received SSD when the VA only had me rated at 10% for my back. I had my private Dr write a letter for me and had my family write letters. Sent all my MRI reports and surgery paperwork. Was approved in 5 months. You should apply if your back keeps you from working. Good luck.

welcome aboard - follow the info below as provided by Berta and the others. If your doc was furious then I am sure he would not mind providing an IMO-IME to counter the 15 min C&P Doc. Hang in there and keep us updated on your situation. Do you have an SO that is helping your are you one of the many who are going down the road by yourself. In any case you will definitely receive a lota help from Hadit members.