Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Living The Claim

Rate this question

spike

Question

Listen,

I am giving a piece of advice here. I understand many veterans find something that is 'wrong' with them, but if you are 100% P&T I would advise against living the claim. Let it be. Let yourself work on your health. One of my friends have said a good metaphor about this....."It's like poking a bear with a stick"-Hadit member (formerly) Jay Johnson. Your asking for the VA to re-investigate your claims. If you are 100 % PT, don't start making all kinds of different claims right away. Think about it this way and I hate to say it this way. What if the person at the VA Claims office, just got in a fight with his wife, slept in the car, back is hurting, and your the first claim he or she gets. Think that they might not 'dig' into your C-file to see if every I is dotted and T is crossed?. I have heard of some vets, losing their ratings because they started a new claim and something in the time that they had the new C&P exam (something they said or did) in the exam triggered the Rating Officer to change their rating for one of their previous ratings. Maybe because the new doctors opinion was different. Take this with a grain of salt. If you don't believe it happens, I am sorry but it does.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Spike, amen!! not to mention new technologies or more strenuous test ran. I can see things like this happening in the near future with record amount of claims, cost cutting techniques and tougher guide lines, I could see people shooting them selves in the foot for and extra 10% when they are at 100%. Could someone explain this to me with out going off? I was under the impression if you get rated at 100% PT,IU, PDIU the rest of you is taken care of any ways? I have seen people here rated at 230% 330% 180% do these people get any more benefits than say?? someone 100% PT.... Don't mean to sound dumb, thanks Rich

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

Let me make sure that I understand this clearly. If I am 100% P/T and have a SMC claim for a service connect disability, DON'T FILE? Because I may lose my 100%? I respectfully asked that the Elders weigh in on this because I just had a surgery and I am do temporary 100%. Am I to allow the VA to scare me away from what is MY BENEFIT? I would hope not.

Jmack

even flow wrote:

"If you have done your part and had a few visits to your VA PCP annually, ordered and taken your meds, and everything else you are supposed to do, then you will not loose your 100%."

I was not aware that one had to use the VA for there medical care for there s/c disability. Other then the C/P I was sent to a year ago or so..I have never set foot into a VA facility for any medical care. I am fortunate enough that I have other health insurance that covers the cost of my continueous care.

I did call the VAMC that is about 2 hours for me to see if I could set up an appointment and I was told there was a 3 month waiting list just to be put on a team...then after I was able to be put on a team that it would take another 90 to 120 days just to get an appointment.

So I have just stayed with my family doctor and I am content not to change. At least this way I have regular apointments and excellent care.

I never heard of anyone losing there rating for not going on yearly appointments to the VA clinics...

but then again I don't know to many disabled vets outside of the ones I have meet though this process.

MT

• HadIt.com Elder

Jmack

File for the SMC. I am P&T for 6 years and I filed for and got SMC. I am also filing a CUE claim. If the VA owes you then go get it.

Jmack

File for the SMC. I am P&T for 6 years and I filed for and got SMC. I am also filing a CUE claim. If the VA owes you then go get it.

John

Thanks, that's exactly what I plan to do. You are right in saying that they owe me, my thing is not to leave anything on the table for them to share among themselves.

Jmack

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm not talking about a 10% claim, per se, but if you know that you have a 50% claim then once it's awarded you are entitled to an additional amount of SMC. Again, the other reason is to insure your surviving spouse, because if you die of a SC condition they are entitled to compensation. I used GERD as an example, because it can lead to esophogeal cancer, which is in effect a death sentence. If yo are nervous about loosing existing ratings, then by all means, don't file. But if you are confident that your current ratings are well grounded, and you have plenty of documentation through regular VA visits, then file away. I have heard it said that getting and keeping your VA ratings is like having a second job (or a first one if you are 100%/TDIU) and it's true. You will have to work hard to keep them and stay one step ahead of the VA at all times whether or not you decide to file another claim. Rest assured, that even if you are 100% P&T, you WILL be called in for another C&P at some time before the 20 year mark, even if you never filed another claim.

Let me make sure that I understand this clearly. If I am 100% P/T and have a SMC claim for a service connect disability, DON'T FILE? Because I may lose my 100%? I respectfully asked that the Elders weigh in on this because I just had a surgery and I am do temporary 100%. Am I to allow the VA to scare me away from what is MY BENEFIT? I would hope not.

Jmack

90%, TDIU P&T