Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Cue And Lawyers

Rate this question

john999

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have talked to a couple of lawyers about my CUE claim in the last few days. None of them seem to really understand what a CUE is all about. They are both SSA lawyers doing VA law who have a hard time understanding the fact that a CUE is based on the facts as they were in the CUE'ed decision. My CUE occurred at the VARO, so I have to find lawyers who want to represent me there and not wait years to get to the COVA. I am going to show them my SSA earnings which shows that I never made more than 4500 bucks a year from my discharge in 1971 until 1985. This is a period of about 14 years of being basically IU. Then I got a job with the USPS and started to make some money. The thing with the USPS is that all I had to do was show up. I need cases or better explanations of CUE to show these guys. What do you do when the lawyers who are supposed to know don't understand the concept of CUE and its implications?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

John- I think it will take many of these lawyers years to get up to speed on VA case law and regs-

I havent even tried to get a lawyer yet for my CUEs because I sure dont have the time to explain to them what the CUE regs involve and why my evidence supports my CUE claims-

I wonder if some of the CAVC lawyers listed at their site- who nadle vets claims at the CAVC are acceptng claims under the new attorney for vets regs-

I did talk to one lawyer some time ago-who is in the electronic community -about my CUE claims and he said he had so much claims work that he didnt have time for CUE claims-

(I think he really meant he didn't understand them)

CUEs are based on legal beagle stuff-so you would think a lawyer would love to challenge a VA decision due to the legal avenue of attack.

I decided not to even ask a lawyer to help me on my CUES. When the VA learns how to read their own regs, I will succeed on them anyhow.

I have a lot of respect for the adjudicator who has sent me letters on my CUEs- he seems to get them and used a bizarre reason to deny them-the reason he used- as I recently told VA in response is completely eradicated by the documented facts of the case-all appearing in my c file.as well as Significant VA case law that I sent to them.

I am getting a DRO review on my CUES- and luckily my POA dumped me-so they arent the middleman on the DRO review and I can deal with the DRO myself. They probably think a Cue is what you play pool with.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

My lawyer wants to see my SSA records but the thing is that the CUE is based on the evidence that was in the record at the time and not years of SSA records that determine my ability to work 15 years later. However, the SSA records show a lack of significant earnings during the period from 1972 to 1985 when I got "lucky" and got a job with the USPS due to being a disabled vet. This is frustrating because I know the VA will sandbag me at the VARO. There is just too much retro involved for them to approve my claim without a knock down, drag out fight. I don't want to have a fool for a lawyer(myself) or one who thinks a CUE is a poolstick.

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

I think that you and Hadit could pull this off.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

Pete

Maybe you are right since the lawyers seem to have never heard of CUE. I always believed in getting expert help for anything that was legal. Now I think I am just spinning my wheels with these legal beagles. If it is not an easy buck they don't want to touch it. They want to do it like SSA. File the paperwork and then show up for the hearing and take 20%. I am disappointed because I know the VA will put the whammy on my claim. They are going to twist the facts until I don't even recognize my own claim. They already tried to add evidence that was not in the record to deny the claim, but I stopped that trick. I expect they will try and redefine the claim to get away from the retro. We know it is just about the money and justice has no place in their calculations.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use