Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chantix - Helps Stop Smoking

Rate this topic

TBird how you doing?

To some of the others who have posted in this thread

Yes I get mine from the VA, my cardiologist told me we had to try the patch and if that didn't work then I could get the chantix.

Wellbutrin thats a joke, that is one of my anti depressants the other is Prozac Ive been on welbutrin for a year and its never given me the urge to quit smoking. Its hard to quit when you have much stress and depression and think about suicide. So in my opinion dont even try to quit if your in that boat. I have asked my cardiologist for a refill, she gave me a rx for two bottles. She didnt answer my email but I see her on Wednesday and will ask her face to face.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was a long time smoker (close to 40 yrs). I tried to quit a few times over the years but failed each time. I tried chantix in July 07 and have not lit up for six months now and am sure that I will not smoke again. Chantix does help with blocking the nicotine craving. For me the most important thing was to recognize the triggers that I used to smoke and get past or around them. By triggers I mean smoking after eating, smoking while drinking coffee, etc. Whatever I did while smoking. As time went on, getting through the trigger times became easier. Chantix helped me stop smoking and I know others who have stopped or are stopping with the help of Chantix.

The VA would not supply Chantix to me. They wanted to give me the patch or Gum, which would have kept me addicted to Nicotine. Chantix helps you break the addiction. The VA has a tendency to do things bass ackwords sometimes.

Tbird, don't give up trying. You can and will beat cigarette's eventually.

• In Memoriam

Tbird

I started the Chantix (VA) four days ago. Patches worked for a while. Chantix says you are supposed to keep smoking for a week while taking it, and then you stop. I am going to stick to the program. We will see.

My doctor said that Chantix can cause suicidal thoughts. I just told him that I was use to that.

Yep, it does. I have already been having hopeless dreams again. This last one was weird:

I was in an office and just found out that I had re-uped in the Navy for four more years without even knowing it. I had done this right after my first enlistment was finished. Back on the fantail of an aircraft carrier in the middle of the ocean watching the ships wake. I woke up thinking NO, NO, NO. Hope that this doesn't get much worse.

• Founder

i have a similar dream all the time without the chantix, the chantix dreams are pretty wild, it's like renting a video, for some reason mine seem to have a sci fi theme, go figure.

i didn't do so well with quiting a quit date, so now i am smoking and taking them and i am smoking much less, which is a miracle in itself, very happy about that, and i notice the smokes don't taste so good and i can go longer and longer without them. also when i feel i want a smoke first i try and have a tootsie pop, it's helpful because it gives something to do with my hands.

Tbird

I started the Chantix (VA) four days ago. Patches worked for a while. Chantix says you are supposed to keep smoking for a week while taking it, and then you stop. I am going to stick to the program. We will see.

My doctor said that Chantix can cause suicidal thoughts. I just told him that I was use to that.

Yep, it does. I have already been having hopeless dreams again. This last one was weird:

I was in an office and just found out that I had re-uped in the Navy for four more years without even knowing it. I had done this right after my first enlistment was finished. Back on the fantail of an aircraft carrier in the middle of the ocean watching the ships wake. I woke up thinking NO, NO, NO. Hope that this doesn't get much worse.