Threads

Rate this question

carlie

Question

Hi there,

I'm starting to notice how threads begin. They are listed with a certain topic

to start the thread and before you know it, the thread has

encompassed 4 or 5 more topics.

In other words the original topic has totally been changed.

I feel it would be to our benefit to try and start a different thread when

you notice how much off topic the original thread has become.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The one topic one speaker concept is ok in theory. However, take a look at the posts on Hadit. When someone ask about Gerd, loss of use etc even within that topic things need to get non-specific. yes having one such as Bob speak about loss of use specifically is great. But what happens when the thread also needs to be expanded into due process, cue, duty to assist, GC, VA law etc...... just wondering. I truly think that what carlie was speaking of a thread that starts off with loss of use and gets expanded into Gerd, hypertension, heart problems and hearing loss. If this happens then a mod should move to a new post. Now if you wanted to have a specific posting area such as PTSD, MST, AO etc etc..... with a general claims forum then I guess that would be ok (many of the other sites do it this way). Heck who knows, maybe I don't really know what I am talking about and really should not be posting on this subject. :)

I'd like to second Ricky's comments and add a few of my own.

When I started off reading hadit I read every post even though I had a single issue claim for a mental disorder. Reading all the posts gave me an understanding of the general flow of a claim, some of the things to watch out for that are universal in all claims, what an NOD, IMO, C&P exam were and yes, even a GAF which was specific to my claim. So while I do see the benefit for topical discussion, I think that is already being taken care of by having the subject line of a particular thread sum up the topic.

Berta - I would ask you to NOT focus narrowly on AO or other topics, especially since you do not accept email from the board. The scope of your knowledge is helpful to many, many claims and many of us rely on your wisdom and experience. I would not have known the importance of VCAA letters had it not been for you. Also, the Mariano court case (extra fishing expedition exams).

Pete - I'm with you in not always thinking about starting a new thread and will try to watch hijacking threads in the future which I've been guilty of.

Carlee - Thanks for a timely reminder.

Tbird - Thanks for hadit.

....and to all a good night!

TS Snave

• HadIt.com Elder

Aw Ricky, you do such good here! Okay, I agree with categorizing topics and issues, somewhat. Meanwhile, I sort of like the approach of searching for an issue base by the user's submitted title, because I begin my posts similarly, with a "commoners question", not fully knowing VA lingo. I did check FAQs, but found the navigation of terms and the reading a bit daunting, so I started posting. I do check FAQs from time to time!

Often I ask a simple question in my non-VA terms, then learn the category it truly falls under. For instance, I used to shyly approach personality disorder as a very insulting and shameful diagnosis assigned by the VA doctor. By much discussion here, I've been encouraged, redirected and able to narrow down PD as a probable in correct or 'misdiagnosis' for me in the mental health 'courtyard'. I probably wouldnt have guessed how to label my medical issues as not-PD, but MDD, PTSD w/MSt without first finding the courage to feel comfortable here generally describing my concerns. And no, at first I didnt know what title or abbreviations to place in the subject title. With my mdd, its sorta tough to state a 'specific question' for my medical issues, be it mental health or physical.

Basically, I post an inquiry into the forum, discussion starts, very experienced or nonexperienced memebers respond. Trust me I learn from both, I am endeared to the struggle of 'how to ask' for something without its defiinitive title or its possible validity. Sometimes I don't post, concerned about what I think are difficult personal questions. Then, often, someone else will post the same item I need help with. So, with or without the 'categorization' sections, I learn to sort it out quite a bit, like laundry, however I am far from done. Similar to reading a mystery novel, some item will trigger a 'reminder' of previous information.

Whatever way I find the information, by searching, categories, reading and presenting my issues, I I get invaluable help for my ever present health condition(s). Hadit has been a Godsend on how to understand or process my claim issues along with constantly learning/relearning new or unfamiliar terms like SOC, NOD, SSOC, ED, EED, M21, CFR 38, DRO, VBM, VBA etc, and most important VCAA! (Yay! Berta!)

Er, just my 2-cents, all at Hadit, best to ya, cg

The one topic one speaker concept is ok in theory. However, take a look at the posts on Hadit. When someone ask about Gerd, loss of use etc even within that topic things need to get non-specific. yes having one such as Bob speak about loss of use specifically is great. But what happens when the thread also needs to be expanded into due process, cue, duty to assist, GC, VA law etc...... just wondering. I truly think that what carlie was speaking of a thread that starts off with loss of use and gets expanded into Gerd, hypertension, heart problems and hearing loss. If this happens then a mod should move to a new post. Now if you wanted to have a specific posting area such as PTSD, MST, AO etc etc..... with a general claims forum then I guess that would be ok (many of the other sites do it this way). Heck who knows, maybe I don't really know what I am talking about and really should not be posting on this subject. :)
Edited by cowgirl

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

• HadIt.com Elder

I think what Carlie is really getting at here is that we all need to stop threadjacking. The most important claim to each and every one of us is our own. But, that does not mean that we have to interject our claim into everyone else's threads. They have questions about their claims, it might be helpful for us to explain things to others in terms of our own claims, but we should be explaining things in terms of the rules, regs, and practices of the VA. That way a thread that has started on the topic of PTSD, won't end up with two completely different members discussing GERD.

Just my $.02

90%, TDIU P&T

• HadIt.com Elder

Ok Rental, keeping on topic in threads is good, Heres 1¢, now we have a nickel! cg

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!