Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I Am Getting The Run Around On Getting A Copy Of C-file

Rate this question

Will

Question

I am getting the run around from the Chicago Regional office on getting a copy of my c-file. Any ideas had to approach this

Will

100% S/C TDIU P&T

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Not sure at all. I also deal with Chicago. My husband requested his C-file August 2006. Had not received it when he died February 2007. But he had received several letters telling him that they were working on the request.

I had to RE-request it after he died. Was told last June it would take at least 6 months to get a copy or an appointment. I got to SEE it in July (1 month after asking) - They give you an hour - with someone with you>

She wrote down what I wanted to get copies of to send to me. But nothing has been sent yet. I have also not received the C-file either.

But there standard answer is that it takes at LEAST 6 months.

We have even sent in LIMITED requests (Please send me a copy of __specific thing).

We have NEVERNEVERNEVER received anything we have requested.

Maybe they just don't send people copies --

So if YOU find out = PLEASE let me Know.

Geez - you have a certain amount of time to appeal something - and they won't even send you the information to show you what to appeal.

Free

I am getting the run around from the Chicago Regional office on getting a copy of my c-file. Any ideas had to approach this
Think Outside the Box!

Did you request a copy of your claims file in writing and send it via certified mail? If so, when did you do that?

This is from this website under FAQ's:

112. How do I get a copy of my record to identify adverse information?

Every veteran is entitled to one free copy of his record. Send a request identified as “Privacy Act Release” to the RO asking for a full copy of your record. If the RO does not do this within ten working days after receiving the request, appeal to the General Counsel, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington DC 20420 and just say you want to appeal the decision of the RO not to provide you with a copy of your claims file. More Questions on this topic? Ask it here http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1512

As for me I submitted my request in June 2007. I didn't send it by certified mail, but I know they got it as I asked for an appointment to view the C-file and a copy of the C-file in the same letter.

And I got my appointment to see the C-file.

I think I better follow up on my request and REMIND them that I requested a copy IN WRITING at that time.

Otherwise I will get stuck on the bottom of the pile.

Chicago RO rountinely tells people that it will take at least 6 months after your request to get a copy of the file. They tell you that in writing. However, the letters just say "we are still working on it..." I am thinking that might get them out of the 10 days limit - as long as they keep contacting you with their we are still working on it letters.

I haven't received those though - so I think my request got lost in the shuffle. I guess I better follow up on that.

Free

Did you request a copy of your claims file in writing and send it via certified mail? If so, when did you do that?

This is from this website under FAQ's:

112. How do I get a copy of my record to identify adverse information?

Every veteran is entitled to one free copy of his record. Send a request identified as “Privacy Act Release” to the RO asking for a full copy of your record. If the RO does not do this within ten working days after receiving the request, appeal to the General Counsel, Department of Veterans Affairs, Washington DC 20420 and just say you want to appeal the decision of the RO not to provide you with a copy of your claims file. More Questions on this topic? Ask it here http://www.hadit.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1512

Think Outside the Box!

Well here is an update. I am so tired of messing with the VA. I called the General Counsel to Dept of Vet Affairs in Washington D.C., and I spoke to a nice lady and I explained how many time I have requested my c-file from VARO Chicago, she had me fax my requests to her that I have submitted to VARO, along with any other things I have sent to them. So I faxed it today and will see what happens. She states they usually request you mail it but she could tell I was frustrated and told me to fax it for quicker response.

Will

100% S/C TDIU P&T

I don't know if a "Privacy Act Release" and a "Freedom of Information Act" request are the same thing, but I made to FOIA request and received my entire C-file in less than 30 days from Albuquerque VARO.

Rick, that doesn't matter at the VARO in my state. We marked thye envelope "FOIA Desk" as the VARO instructed. We still never received anything, and that was in early September. We wrote to the OGC of the VA in Washington, D.C. a couple of weeks ago, to NOD the VARO's apparent decision to deny our request for a copy of my husband's temporary claims file at the VARO. We're still waiting for a response.