VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi / Ssa File

Rate this question

BigDog

Question

Hello,

Anyone here know the regs on your SSDI / SSA file?

I called my local SSA office and asked about obtaining a copy of my file.

The gentlemen at the local SSA office asked my why I needed the file and I told him it was for a VA claim.

He explained to me that because I didn't have a legit SSA reason for the file he would have to charge me.

He then said he would have to request my file from the main SSA office and when he received it he would have to count the pages to be copied and would call me with the amount I would need to pay to get the file. He said there was a per page charge that needs to be prepaid.

He said it could take weeks to get the file and call me.

He asked me why I wasn't calling the main SSA office in the capitol of our state and requesting the file from them. I told him his office was like 10 minutes form my house the other was 45 minutes away. I think he was just not happy that he had to actually do some work that day.

Is this right?

Should they be charging me for a copy of my file?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read or reply.

Regards,

BigDog

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Who knows if they can charge or not. Maybe you should ask if you can review the file at their office?

• HadIt.com Elder

They should give you one free copy, under the FOIA, just like the VA does. Just tell them you are looking for errors and ommissions. After all it's the same government. You can also view it at the SS office and request copies of anything you want then.

pr

Hello,

Anyone here know the regs on your SSDI / SSA file?

I called my local SSA office and asked about obtaining a copy of my file.

The gentlemen at the local SSA office asked my why I needed the file and I told him it was for a VA claim.

He explained to me that because I didn't have a legit SSA reason for the file he would have to charge me.

He then said he would have to request my file from the main SSA office and when he received it he would have to count the pages to be copied and would call me with the amount I would need to pay to get the file. He said there was a per page charge that needs to be prepaid.

He said it could take weeks to get the file and call me.

He asked me why I wasn't calling the main SSA office in the capitol of our state and requesting the file from them. I told him his office was like 10 minutes form my house the other was 45 minutes away. I think he was just not happy that he had to actually do some work that day.

Is this right?

Should they be charging me for a copy of my file?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read or reply.

Regards,

BigDog

• HadIt.com Elder

I got a copy of my SSDI file and I was not charged for it. Some of these SSA people really are not too swift. They do not recognize or understand their workers compensation system that covers federal employees. I was a federal employee and had to explain to the SSA that I was getting federal work comp. and they understood nil. I gave up and just left them paperwork to figure out for themselves.