Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Clinic Or Private Doctor

Rate this question

hurryupnwait

Question

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to the VA clinic, which is 1 1/2 hr drive or to my local private doctor. I want to be seen for some secondary issues I am having in relation to my 10% SC back disability.

Is it better to go to the VAMC for these? To see a VA urologist, I would have to drive about 3 hours.

Happy Trails

Paul

When I count my blessings I count my family and friends twice.

If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.

Well done is better than well said.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have insurance and want treatment for the conditions then you can go outside to the private sector. You dont have to go the the VA unless you need to. The private docs also keep records. You may be given better attention outside.

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

Jbasser has a good point. I would opt for the private sector if you have ins. A private doc is more likly to give you med opinions before a VA clinic doc. As far as VA goes, med. records are med records no matter where they originate from. If you are planning on seeking some secondaries for your sc then VA will most likely send you for a C&P exam anyhow. DJ8

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have time and want compensation you could do both. See the VA just to document the conditions and get treatment outside. Often times if you get good documentation at the VAMC you can get connected without even going for a C&P. I did twice. You coudl also just bring it up at your primary care doctor meeting and maybe get an opinion that it is service connected.

• HadIt.com Elder

For whatever its worth.

The VA Clinic Doctor can be asked for an opinion as to the relationship between the SC connected problems and those not currently SC'd. There is an internal VA form floating around to use for this. The disadvantages are several.

The VA doctor may state that the conditions are not related. (Not what you need!)

The VA may disregard the written information on the form if it chooses to do so. (Only likely if the information is in your favor)

Some time ago, in a VA Clinic, with a contracted Dr.

The Dr. wrote a favorable opinion.

The Dr. connected several drugs to the SC condition.

Several months later, the drugs went back to Non SC, and copay resumed.

The Dr. went on (as did several others of the clinics med staff to bigger and better things)

The contractor/company running the clinic changed, and more staff quit.

I never did get a rational explanation of how the drugs went from SC back to non sc.

Just the you gotta go thru the admin side (compensation claim) to do anything. (Which is really not true when it comes to SC'ing drugs. A VA doctor (real or full contract)could set the flags in the VA program that SC's drugs)(At least when this occurred)

(They did get upset when I asked if the electronic file showed who made the change back. and said that I could not have that information) (Not wanting to start a major hassle, I backed off and left stage right!)

What are the advantages and disadvantages of going to the VA clinic, which is 1 1/2 hr drive or to my local private doctor. I want to be seen for some secondary issues I am having in relation to my 10% SC back disability.

Is it better to go to the VAMC for these? To see a VA urologist, I would have to drive about 3 hours.

Happy Trails

Paul

• HadIt.com Elder

True when it involves medical treatment, not as true when it involves medical opinions. Remember that opinions can be countered by an opposing opinion, which opens another big bag.

"med. records are med records"

Jbasser has a good point. I would opt for the private sector if you have ins. A private doc is more likely to give you med opinions before a VA clinic doc. As far as VA goes, med. records are med records no matter where they originate from. If you are planning on seeking some secondaries for your sc then VA will most likely send you for a C&P exam anyhow. DJ8

For whatever its worth.

The VA Clinic Doctor can be asked for an opinion as to the relationship between the SC connected problems and those not currently SC'd. There is an internal VA form floating around to use for this. The disadvantages are several.

The VA doctor may state that the conditions are not related. (Not what you need!)

The VA may disregard the written information on the form if it chooses to do so. (Only likely if the information is in your favor)

Some time ago, in a VA Clinic, with a contracted Dr.

The Dr. wrote a favorable opinion.

The Dr. connected several drugs to the SC condition.

Several months later, the drugs went back to Non SC, and copay resumed.

The Dr. went on (as did several others of the clinics med staff to bigger and better things)

The contractor/company running the clinic changed, and more staff quit.

I never did get a rational explanation of how the drugs went from SC back to non sc.

Just the you gotta go thru the admin side (compensation claim) to do anything. (Which is really not true when it comes to SC'ing drugs. A VA doctor (real or full contract)could set the flags in the VA program that SC's drugs)(At least when this occurred)

(They did get upset when I asked if the electronic file showed who made the change back. and said that I could not have that information) (Not wanting to start a major hassle, I backed off and left stage right!)

If you use the form mentioned above asking the VA Doc for an opinion, once they fill out the form does the info get entered into your VA medical file or is it returned to you to submit if you wish? Would hate to try it and have the Doc say "No way shape or form" and have that entered into my medical record. Seems like that would be like shooting myself in the foot (although I could probably claim that! JUST KIDDING!! :rolleyes: ) But that does seem like it would throw a monkey wrench into trying to connect to service conditions.