Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Where To Begin...advice Please After Hysterectomy

Rate this question

djfam

Question

All,

I would like to ask my military sisters if they might give me some advice on how to proceed. I recently had a hysterectomy (ovaries still in tact) due to the prolapse of my uterus. I worked for over 5 years in the radio repair field. The equipment was all "two-man" lift but there were rarely 2 of us together to lift anything. I began to notice changes after we came back from Desert Storm, usually during PT, when we were running and bouncing around. At first, I mentioned it to the GYNs when I was on active duty but was told it would be years before it would be a problem.

I made it to 42 years old, then it was just too much to deal with. I had to have my uterus removed, bladder and rectal repair. VA actually paid for it all. I want to petition VA to increase my disability but I don't even know where to begin. Do any of you have advice? I start to research and am quickly overwhelmed. If any of you have had success (or not) adding a condition like this to your disability award, please let me know how it went.

:)

Thanks for listening. I wish you all the best!!!

Dorie

20% Service Connected

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• Founder

this could me a difficult, if you had the hysterctomy in service it would be easier. i have no experience with this after discharge, but perhaps some of the others may have some advice for you. i am glad you still have your ovaries, it's tough enought without adding that to your mix. hang in sister

All,

I would like to ask my military sisters if they might give me some advice on how to proceed. I recently had a hysterectomy (ovaries still in tact) due to the prolapse of my uterus. I worked for over 5 years in the radio repair field. The equipment was all "two-man" lift but there were rarely 2 of us together to lift anything. I began to notice changes after we came back from Desert Storm, usually during PT, when we were running and bouncing around. At first, I mentioned it to the GYNs when I was on active duty but was told it would be years before it would be a problem.

I made it to 42 years old, then it was just too much to deal with. I had to have my uterus removed, bladder and rectal repair. VA actually paid for it all. I want to petition VA to increase my disability but I don't even know where to begin. Do any of you have advice? I start to research and am quickly overwhelmed. If any of you have had success (or not) adding a condition like this to your disability award, please let me know how it went.

Dorie

20% Service Connected

• HadIt.com Elder

welcome to hadit, got you on the radar and will post asap, God Bless, cg

All,

Dorie

20% Service Connected

Dorie,

Welcome to hadit. I can't offer you any claims advice as my experience is limited to only my mental illness (not PTSD) claim. However, you will find others who can help you out.

I will, however, pray for you when I read your posts unless you ask me not to in which case I will respect that (and if I forget, I ask in advance that you forgive my oversight).

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles.

You said you mentioned your situation to the GYN while you were on active duty. Do you have copies of your active duty records? Is your 20% SC female related where you could get an increase to your current disability rating or is this a separate issue?

Tell us more and others will be able to help you more.

Again, welcome to hadit and God Bless,

TS Snave

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay here goes and I hope you know that I offer these questions for you to think about, because I just dont know exactly how it goes, I'm simply another Hadit member and veteran struggling with VA compesnation issues. Best to ya, cg

Did your symptoms start on Active Duty and cause you to lose duty time?

Do you think you have a cause for service connection?

Are you disabled from the surgery?

Do you think it is service connected and have diagnosis's of this condition or contributing conditions in your SMRs?

Have you become disabled related to your current employment? have you lost work time?

The VA reg that covers this is "Title 38 and see: TITLE 38--PENSIONS, BONUSES, AND VETERANS' RELIEF, Subpart B_Disability Ratings, Sec. 4.116 Schedule of ratings--gynecological conditions and disorders of the breast. Note 1: Natural menopause, primary amenorrhea, and pregnancy and childbirth are not disabilities for rating purposes."

So, as a thought, if you beleive your "condition" has been caused by or aggravated by your military service and can be supported by a IMO,then talk to your VSO or discuss whats next here at Hadit if you wish.

*(er, just in case, details connected to MST or PTSD are sensitve to some, so if relating those items, please note 'possible trigger' in the subject matter)

Edited by cowgirl