Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Abnormal Study

Rate this question

Ron II

Question

Hello,

I guess I have been thinking too much about my appeal to a recent NOD/SOC. I have an independent medical evaluation from a private physician which constitutes new and material evidence.

The bottom of the reports reads as follows:

CONCLUSION

"This is an abnormal study with the following findings:" blah...blah...blah

1. I understand the findings; they are not part of my questions.

2. What does "abnormal study" mean? Does it mean that the study was incomplete or tainted in some way? Or...

3. Does it mean that the evaluation shows abnormalities in the part of my body they examined (heart)?

The conclusion went on to say I had HVL, etc.

Here's hoping it means number three as I already knew my heart was impaired. ;)

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Maybe to the VA abnormal means they couldn't find anything to twist around and deny you with... ;)

Free

Hello,

I guess I have been thinking too much about my appeal to a recent NOD/SOC. I have an independent medical evaluation from a private physician which constitutes new and material evidence.

CONCLUSION

2. What does "abnormal study" mean? Does it mean that the study was incomplete or tainted in some way? Or...

3. Does it mean that the evaluation shows abnormalities in the part of my body they examined (heart)?

Thanks,

Ron

Think Outside the Box!

Hi,

My private doctor (not VA) did the tests/evaluation. He is the one who wrote the report. The VA hasn't reviewed this documentation yet.

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

• HadIt.com Elder

Looks like you have something that VA wants suppressed. Abnormal only means one thing in that it does not fit with the VA preconceived ideas.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Looks like you have something that VA wants suppressed. Abnormal only means one thing in that it does not fit with the VA preconceived ideas.

Thanks Pete, but the VA has not processed this new and material evidence yet. It is part of my new and material evidence I sent in with the VA Form 9 after I received a SOC. Remember the letter I pasted where the VA apologized for telling me erroneously that my c-file in Wyoming was a temp? You made a short comment, "Amazing."

That was a couple of weeks ago and many messages have gone through here since...

I was basically trying to determine if "abnormal" means my heart size/thickness is abnormal (which it is), or does it mean that the non-VA doctor's test was inadequate, consequently making it "abnormal" and probably not acceptable to the VA to increase my rating.

The report by the civilian/private non-va affliated doctor is the document that states "This is an Abnormal Study." The VA has not commented or ruled on it yet.

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Manitou Sprgs

I typed the phrase into a search - it looks like when used by a doctor it means that the TEST RESULTS were not normal. Hope the VA knows this! ;)

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/NeuroSupport...sages/1034.html

EMG Conclusions:

This is an abnormal study revealing the presence of the following:

1.Minimal sensory neuropathy .

2.Questionable mild S1 radiculopathy on the right side, given and absent H-reflex .

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/364855

Impression:

This is an abnormal study.

Conclusion:

This study is suggestive of mild C5radiculopathyand severe median neuropathy at wristconsistent with the diagnosis of carpal tunnel syndrome on right side. Further clinical correlation is advised.

http://potsramblings.blogspot.com/2008_01_01_archive.html

So I went into the doc's office today to discuss my tilt table results. I got a copy of the results (hell yeah! Concrete proof!) and under the section where it summarizes this called "Impression" it says:

"This is an abnormal study. This is borderline evidence for postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. This was no orthostatic hypotension. This is borderline post ganglionic sympathetic sudomotor dysfunction as well.

http://gamma.wustl.edu/division/NM-Std-Reports-10-4-06.htm

FINDINGS: The 48-hour urinary excretion of Co-57 cyanocobalamin is ____% of the administered dose. Normally over 9% of the orally administered dose should be excreted in the first 48 hours. This is an abnormal study indicative of inadequate intestinal absorption of vitamin B12. If clinically indicated, a repeat examination with simultaneous administration of Co-57 cyanocobalamin and intrinsic factor would be useful to distinguish intrinsic factor deficiency (e.g., pernicious anemia) from primary intestinal malabsorption of vitamin B12.

Hello,

CONCLUSION

Thanks,

Ron

Think Outside the Box!

Ron, to answer your question:

Normal = good heart with no problems seen by that doctor

abnormal = heart with some problems as indicated below

sometimes you will see (as with most xrays) blah, blah blah (the problems seen) followed with a statement of "othrewise normal MRI, or normal study etc......

Anyway the abnormal in your report means that the test conducted found problems with the function of your heart which it should have listed on the report.