Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Describing Pain 1 To 10

Rate this question

Jayg

Question

I have severe debilitating arthritis and neuropathy.

When I go to the VA, they ask me how much pain are you in right now? They do not let me explain my overall pain. They just insist that I tell them for just that moment.

Well, depending on the situation, it can be a lot less than the overall I suffer. How can I accurately tell them my pain level, based on their 1 - 10 number system? Much of my medications, help to mask my pain, but I know its still there. And sometimes its there much worse than others. Pain is a constant in my life, but the 'number' rating for the overall varies, yet they don't accept this at the interview. How do one answer the 'how much pain are you feeling on a scale of 1-10 right now" question, when you are medicated, not asked to be doing anything at that moment, still feel pain even then, without either overstating or understating the condition?

How do I describe this???

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

MT, this was a great link...Thanks! I added it to my Favorites for later referral. Maybe TBird or whom ever can add it under searchable info here at Hadit.

The VA does or is suppose to use the same scale for all-don't remember the name but its with one with faces.

I too have arthritis and the pain level is different for different parts of the body.

Pain is a personal perception, so each person has a different pain perception level.

To me I give them a constant number--I don't want to confuse them. I tell the my pain level for that day (combine the pain)--I am always better sitting down so I tell them what my level was prior to getting to the clinic.

If my back is a 6 and my hands a 7 I tell them 7. They usually ask what is hurting the most.

For those of you who think they are questioning your pain level when you say a 10 and your walking around and talking well they are if you are not in tears, retching, moaning,constantly repositinioning yourself, irritable (severe) or screaming for help, its not a 10.

A 10 is the worst pain you have ever had or could imagine. If you have ever had a kidney stone, gallbladder stone, or given birth then you know what a 10 is. Your not walking at this pain level.

If the pain is ever constant on my mind and while I may be listening I am not really hearing what your saying since I am thinking of my pain I call that a 5-7.

A 3-4 is I think about the pain occasionally but its not ever present on my mind.

A 5 is constantly on my mind but I can still concentrate at times.

A 6 is less concentration I start barking loudly.

A 7 is no concentration and I will bite at this point.

8-10 I am not at the VA but home in bed crying.

My 5 could be your 10 or your 3 could be my 10. The older you are the more pain you can tolerate. I can guarantee you my 3 is a 20yrs 10.

If you say your pain is a 10 and your walking normal and talking normal with a normal BP and HR they won't buy the 10 and you will get labeled.

The VA computers don't take half numbers.

Ask them for the scale if you need to describe your pain level. Tell them what your pain level is for each area or tell what is hurting the most.

• HadIt.com Elder

I tell them I am an 8 without the narcotics and about a 3 with the dope. Considering I am taking morphine and percoset I guess that makes sense. At no time would I tell them I am in no pain. Usually when I am sitting in front of a VA doctor I say 4-5 on the scale because I take narcotics every day from the time I get up until I go to bed. Never make the mistake of saying you have no current symptoms of pain. Don't forget to mention all the nice side effects of your meds.

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

Does this scale work for EMOTIONAL PAIN too? ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

• HadIt.com Elder

man...ya'll think about it too much. Whenever they ask that question, the automatic response either needs to be 8 or 9...everytime. They will start to get the picture eventually, and the raters get the picture, too.

90%, TDIU P&T

I have to Agree with Wings as well there is no measurement for a mental anxiety or Anguish,and this is much more difficult to deal with at times than physical pain you become numb and can lead to other shall we say unpleasant thoughts. Rental Guy you can not make a statemnet like this everyone is different so pain as a measured tool. If you will this tool is also different for all.Feel Gooo everyone in such dismal times we are only here for a short period on BIG BLUE .Have a Great Day. And I know all of this and life is stressful we live it on a daily basis.