Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Four Young Ptsd Vets Die In

Rate this question

Berta

Question

"Military doctors prescribed Paxil, Klonopin and Seroquel for Johnson, the same combination taken by veterans Andrew White, 23, of Cross Lanes; Eric Layne, 29, of Kanawha City; and Nicholas Endicott of Logan County. All were in apparently good physical health when they died in their sleep."

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfMAY08/nf052508-1.htm

Watch your meds -men and women-

they can kill you-

These vets were taking a strong prescribed combo.

There is an attempt in the House to overturn the premise of Feres-

but it looks to me that VA continued inservice prescirptions in this case-

dont know-but this is horrible news.

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Need all the facts on this cause I will bet that drinking alcohol may be involved. Many younger PTSD and anxiety patients have a problem with alcohol and drugs till they learn to stop.

Hope I am not offending anyone this would apply to my own case and many others that I know of as most turned to alcohol and drugs to relieve the anxiety and it worked for awhile till it turns on you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I take most of the same meds I don't what what dosages those guys were on but I take 2mg klonopin and some of the other stuff and have for years I also have a bad heart I also quit drinking years ago before they started me on the drugs it could be the combination of when they are taking them they are supposed to be spaced out not all at once and any alchohol is a big no no they need to get the toxicology reports this just makes everyone question the VA and the meds what were the circumstances

Yes-you are right Mike- there is absolutely no info at all so far to even suggest these vets had mixed alcohol with these meds.

http://wvgazette.com/News/200805230640?pag...amp;build=cache

"Stan White, father of soldier Andrew White, has become an advocate for families of returning veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder. During his son's struggle with the disorder and since his death, White has tracked similar cases. He knows of about eight in the tri-state area of Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia.

He and his wife, Shirley, introduced themselves to the Johnsons and Underwoods at Derek's funeral and offered their help. He is in contact with the office of Sen. Jay Rockefeller, D-W.Va., who is a member of the Veterans' Affairs Committee. Rockefeller requested an investigation into these deaths, which is ongoing, said Steven Broderick, the senator's press secretary."

The GAzette story has had 14 comments already-havent read thm yet but some appear to be from vets on these same meds-

Edited by Berta

Need all the facts on this cause I will bet that drinking alcohol may be involved. Many younger PTSD and anxiety patients have a problem with alcohol and drugs till they learn to stop.

Hope I am not offending anyone this would apply to my own case and many others that I know of as most turned to alcohol and drugs to relieve the anxiety and it worked for awhile till it turns on you.

Pete53 you are right on and I have traveled this road and hard. I had to sign a contract to be tested for alcohol and other drugs or I would be denied meds, it was very hard to stop because I power drank for years and in your mind you think your a an exception to the rule but your not. I had to quit drinking because the meds are so strong....

So I imagine the VA will not be held accountable for this at all is the sad part....

Edited by yoggie2

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta:

I did not say that they had alcohol as a factor I just said that all the facts were not in but I suspected it.

The facts are that most who have PTSD also have problems with alcohol and drugs as it is considered a symptom of PTSD.

The reverse is that if it is not looked into than it may mean that no veterans will be prescribed those combo's of meds.

I take two meds that are labeled not to use alcohol and be careful with driving and operating machinery. I quit drinking in 1982 or 12 years after discharge and 9 years before going to VAMC for first time.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think the article mentions that at least one of the vets was taking pain meds. It is very possible when you are taking pain meds and things like clonazepam you can forget just how much stuff you have taken, and easily overdose. I took too much clonazepam during a day and when I woke up in the morning I fell right on my face getting out of bed. That drug Fentenol(spelling) in the patch form can be deadly. I know someone who OD'ed. Some of the time release drugs can really be dangerous because they build up in your system. Then your breathing stops and you are dead.

Of course, many PTSD patients do mix alcohol with their pain meds and psychiatric meds. If you have ever suffered from an intense anxiety disorder you want it to stop. I don't believe for a moment the VA is taking good care of these severe PTSD cases. They give you bottles of pills and push you out the door. You need hope and support to get over these things and not just dope to treat symptoms.