Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can My Grandmother Receive Benefits?

Rate this question

Cherie33

Question

Hi All,

My grandpa died in Feb. 1994 and he was a veteran. I know right now that my grandmother receives about $50 a month for pension, I think its pension. Anyway, She didn't receive any survivors pay or anything and I was wondering if she would be entitled to any additional benefits. My grandma is 88 years old and never remarried. If she is entitled to any additional benefits, I would like for her to have them.

I requested a copy of his DD214, however the National Personnel Records Center said it was one of the files that was in the fire on July 12, 1973. So, they sent me a "Certification of Military Service". However, it doesn't tell me if he was a service-connected disabled vet.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,

Cherie33

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that she should look into it and the VA lets her deduct any medical expenses she has. from the face it looks like she could get an extra 300 a month. Worth calling the VA at 1 800 827 1000 to check it out.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree on getting his C-file, but if his DD214 burned, then chances are all other records went up, too. I don't know why all of the older vets were so secretive about their military service. A friend's father passed last year, another Korean Vet. After the funeral, they were going through his attic to find personal papers for insurance and the like and came across a small box. John asked his mother what it was, and she sisn't know for sure. She knew that he had brought it home from the war, and it had followed them wherever they moved, but she had never seen the contents. When they opened it, they found all of his medals and citations. Among several medals were 2 Purple Hearts, A Bronze Star for valor, a Silver Star for valor, and a Distinguished Service Cross (with a letter of apology from the battalion commander because the decoration had been downgraded from the Medal of Honor). His dad had been a freakin hero and no one knew. He had asked his dad all the time about the war, and all he would say is that he was a machine-gunner and Korea was cold. Sad part is, the OIF vets seem to have the same mentality. I know everything that my friends have done over there, but their families know next to nothing. We need to get these guys to open up...their loved ones deserve to know.

I'm one to talk....my family knows very little of what I did, or endured when I served. I'm not proud of some of it, but it had to be done.

90%, TDIU P&T

Hey rentalguy,

I feel pretty much the same, but I thought that I would just try, I mean all they can say is yes they have them or no they don't. I do know that he had been going to a VA Hospital for all of his care and he also died in that same hospital so, I will try and get his health records from the Dept. of VA first, and if I can't get it from them, then I will try the hospital.

I mean, for a moment I was really angry with my grandpa, my grandmother has been through so much, she didn't have any insurance on him and his brother had to pay for his funeral. All of these years she could have had a better life then trying to survive off of little to nothing. And you are right, we need to encourage all of our older vets to open up to their families. What happens to their families if the vet passes away first. And this situation has taught me something as well. I know that I need to keep good records and to inform my family of things they need to do if something happens to me. I would hate to pass away and leave my family without a clue. Maybe, I should write out a check list, of people to contact, insurance policies, VA survivor benefits, etc. It will be good to leave behind so my family can get the benefits they deserve.

Cherie33

• HadIt.com Elder

I just checked the pension rate and it's a little over $7400, annually, so it sounds like she's getting her full benefit. Pension is means based, which means it's offset by SS retirement income. Chances are she's receiving a little over $550 monthly from SSA and $50 a month from the VA. Since your mom helps w/her care she may be eligible for Aid & Attendance, so she should apply ASAP. If she hasn't received the burial allowance, I believe she can apply now, and still get it.

pr

The VA web site has a link to the Insurance programs-

perhaps she was eligible for some insurance.

Yes it is very important to have a Death file- Carlie's post here is a good one of this-

When my husband died -at age 47- he had told me about a Nuclear Power Plant pension I would receive if he died and he mentioned some other stuff at the VA he had that had a survivor benefit--when he worked there.I had to find out on my own what he was talking about and then it took time to get these benefits-

My own father in law had an AARP benefit- he could he used the money in his lifetime but didnt understand what the benefit was for.It is the Cash program for hospitalization.

Survivors often dont have a clue as to what insurance or pensions the deceased had that might provide for them.

Months after he died his son found an AARP card and some AARP information-that resulted in about $25,000 in the cash benefit that his father never applied for and it was added into his estate.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Cherie33,

I agree with all the post submitted.

My father-in-law, an Army Vet, past about 2 years ago from a terminal cancer diagnosis, and at the time was given 6 months to live. I had my mother-in-law who had a POA to submit him for VA benefits, which the regional office told her that since he was "terminal" they would "expedite his claim and provide a decision within 30 days"; they did not. He past before they made a decision, which basically ended his claim.

Then they denied her DIC, stating that since he had not received "any compensation or pension", she was not eligible. I had her to appeal due to them not acting on time as they stated they would give a decision in 30 days and to also mentioned that she was also asking her Congressional Representative for assistance. Within 30 days of getting that letter, she got approved for DIC effective the date of my father-in-law death or the day after his death.

I still believe they errored in not giving a decision within 30 days as they said they would.

I hope your grandmother gets her full entitlements also if she is not receiving already; don't give up on her.

regards,

mrrrr5

DAV Life Member - Thanks to all Veterans for your selfless service.