VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anyone Awarded Sc To Jet Fuel?

Rate this question

deanosono

Question

Hey anybody,

I'm in the appeals process trying to show a connection to 4 years of servicing aircraft from 1977-81. The old A-7 Corsairs were being phased out to make room for the A-10 Warthogs. I had plenty of exposure to JP-4 daily.I filed my claim on the VA website in 2004. Seems like that was a big mistake as the VA has got all the facts screwed up and flatly denies everything. Finally decided to get a Rep. My Rep wants me to show a direct link between JP-4 and non-hodgkins lymphoma. I'm not finding any studies on the net that come right out and make that link, but there is benzene in the fuel and plenty of lawyers who chase benzene cases. The few I've contacted can't or won't deal with the VA. Even though they say I may have a good case based on symptoms and diagnoses and latency period.

In 1981 honorably discharged.

1993 lesion removed from the scalp ( lymphoma)

1995-97 several more lesions on scalp removed

1998-99 multiple lesions on the scalp, bone marrow biopsy ,radiation treatment ,migraines,cunvulsions

2001 brain tumor removed

2005 lesion in scalp requiring softball sized skin graft and artery transplant, undefined deterioration of the skull. titanium in my head

2007 lesion removed.

I'm running out of places for the docs to cut on and feel that I'm getting nowhere.

Losing control of this page ...ignorance overwhelming!

Any advice any one? Thanks for reading this!

Deanosono

Welcome, there is alot of info on this subject..dont have it handy but i do have a pending claim for connection to JP fuel..Check back and ill give ya what i have ..Peace< william

• HadIt.com Elder

Deanosono,

There are studies on the types of diseases caused by both combusted and non combusted JP-4. They were posted on hadit about 3 or 4 years ago. I will try and look for them. I have a vague recollection that there was a guy here who won this type of claim. I hope I am right and you get some better information.

I worked on a flight line for a year and a half and inhaled more jets exhaust in one month than most people breath pollutants in a life time. I attribute my service connected angioedema to the jet exhaust. However, proving what caused my angioedema was not a big issue in my claim because I developed symptoms and was treated while on active duty.

This is the only claim I have found that awarded Fuel exposure as causing cancer:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp08/files1/0803308.txt

The veteran detailed how his duties exposed him to petroleum fuel.

In part the BVA decisions states:

"In October 2004, the veteran's urologist at Elmendorf Air

Force Base stated that the veteran had undergone a radical

cystoprostatectomy for invasive bladder cancer in August

2002. It was stated that the veteran "was exposed to

aviation grade petroleum and diesel fuel during his service

in the military. His bladder cancer is more than likely due

to his exposures."

"A VA examiner in July 2006 reviewed the claims file including

pertinent toxicology and epidemiology literature, noted the

veteran's significant exposure to petroleum products in

service and not subsequently, and opined that it is at least

as likely as not that the veteran's exposure to petroleum

products in service caused his bladder cancer.

The RO, in a supplemental statement of the case (SSOC) in

September 2007, denied the claim on the stated basis that

there is no regulation establishing a causal or presumptive

association between the veteran's petroleum products exposure

in service and subsequent development of bladder cancer. As

pointed out by the veteran's representative in his December

2007 Informal Hearing Presentation before the Board, under

controlling judicial caselaw, the absence of a regulation

recognizing the claimed causal association does not preclude

the veteran from supporting his claim with medical opinion

evidence supporting the causal association. Combee v. Brown"

"ORDER

Service connection for postoperative residuals of bladder

cancer is granted."

These cases need clear cut medical evidence of the link between fuel exposure and the claimed condition.

Hey all, thanks for posting. I really appreciate the time it takes to research and post(especially if you type and read slower than me). A lot of the abbreviations are greek to me but I will learn. Berta, the link looks very helpfull. Hard to comprehend very much at a time.I'm a little (lot) slow.

Hoppy, good luck and thanks for looking. I remember reading something on the web that done studies on gulf war veterans and their exposure to fuels.Can't find anything about it now.

William n, please post what you have when you get time and let me know how you're doin with it.

Pete53, thanks for the welcome mat!

Thanks again everybody!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Welcome to the site!

This crap scares me, and I guess I should keep a closer watch on the internal systems of my self, since I had 4 years of exposure to jet fuel myself. The only thing that I know for sure that it caused is extremely dry skin on my hands. If anyone has ever gotten JP4 on their hands, they'll know what I mean.