VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Arteriosclerosis.

Rate this question

danang_1969

Question

This is a AO presumptive, that is feet on the ground and presumed exposed to AO. If a presumptive vet has been diagnosed with Arteriosclerosis, this is a presumptive SC condition right, does it have any time limits on filing after military discharge? I know it on the list of presumptives and it but I was denied not long ago and with a diagnosis on the record. Was this right or another VA screwup? Bertha or anyone know anything about Arteriosclerosis and presumption on AO.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

As far as I know artery disease is not presumptive for AO. If you have DMII then you can make a good case for it being secondary. I got awarded 0% compensation for arteriosclerosis as secondary to DMII but I had to get a medical opinion linking the two. Heart disease is not presumptive except as a secondary condition to some disease that is presumptive. With almost all secondary conditions you need a medical opinion to back it up. If you can get it from a VA doctor that is even better.

As far as I know artery disease is not presumptive for AO. If you have DMII then you can make a good case for it being secondary. I got awarded 0% compensation for arteriosclerosis as secondary to DMII but I had to get a medical opinion linking the two. Heart disease is not presumptive except as a secondary condition to some disease that is presumptive. With almost all secondary conditions you need a medical opinion to back it up. If you can get it from a VA doctor that is even better.

I just read a BVA decision on this, that says about the same thing you explained. It is a presumptive if it connects as a secondary to DM or one of the 7. Understand now. Thanks John

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have AO DMII or are SC for Hyoertensio, Then cad can be SC'd as secondary.

I wrote CAD because it is a whole lot easier than saying arterisclerlosis.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

CAD PAD, etc. can be tied to DBII. The VA likes to say that if they occur before DBII was diagnosed, they are not caused by DBII.

This is at odds with some current medical thinking to the effect that CAD,PAD,High Blood pressure, etc. can be the first signs of DBII, and may surface years before a formal diagnosis of DBII (based upon blood sugar levels) can be made.

There is also a statistical relationship between A.O. exposure and high blood pressure. The VA saw this years ago, (Ranch Hand, etc.) and decided to implement rules and practices that specifically allow the VA Secretary to ignore statistical results that favor veteran's claims. So much for "more likely than not".

This is a AO presumptive, that is feet on the ground and presumed exposed to AO. If a presumptive vet has been diagnosed with Arteriosclerosis, this is a presumptive SC condition right, does it have any time limits on filing after military discharge? I know it on the list of presumptives and it but I was denied not long ago and with a diagnosis on the record. Was this right or another VA screwup? Bertha or anyone know anything about Arteriosclerosis and presumption on AO.

CAD PAD, etc. can be tied to DBII. The VA likes to say that if they occur before DBII was diagnosed, they are not caused by DBII.

This is at odds with some current medical thinking to the effect that CAD,PAD,High Blood pressure, etc. can be the first signs of DBII, and may surface years before a formal diagnosis of DBII (based upon blood sugar levels) can be made.

There is also a statistical relationship between A.O. exposure and high blood pressure. The VA saw this years ago, (Ranch Hand, etc.) and decided to implement rules and practices that specifically allow the VA Secretary to ignore statistical results that favor veteran's claims. So much for "more likely than not".

It is on the presumptive list but I knew there must be more info than I did not have or am missing.

Here is the link that gives some specifics on conditions:

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/38cfr3.309.htm

Edited by danang_1969

The DMII Training letter might help you- I will attach it here- I just emailed this to Kurt Priessman-the vet who recently proved he was exposed to AO in Thailand-and got a DMII award-but they lowballed-

Every single complication a vet has that is com[pensable -if the medical etiology shows diabetes was cause of or contributed to it-should be claimed by the veteran in any diabetes claim.

PAD (Peripheral arterial disease) and atherosclerosis have a strong association to diabetes- In my IMO from Dr. Bash he specifically stated and gave medical support for this-that my husband's PAD (never diagnosed or treated by VA) could have had no other etiology but for diabetes (which they never diagnosed)

He used 2 Medical treatises and almost challenged the VA to come up with

any other etiology for the PAD-

they were so negligent in Rod's care I wonder if they even know what PAD is.

Raise any copmplication or associated condition you have that might be due to the diabetes.

DMII_VA_Training_Letter.doc