VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lower Intelligence May Be Risk Factor For Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (ptsd)

Rate this question

frosty69

Question

I wonder who paid for this study, 3 guesses and the first 2 don't count.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/...80327073956.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keywor...&sort=relevance

Edited by frosty69

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

haven't read the links yet- but GEEEEZ-

I have never met a PTSD vet with "lower intelligence"=

as a matter of fact Nam Vets I know with PTSD all seem to be highly intelligent- and that factor seems to have significantly added to their PTSD.

The criteria for joining the military today and the ASVAB etc- and fact that one must be a High School graduate- I believe- would really put this idea into question.

Is this another ploy someone thinks they can use to prevent deserving PTSD vets from getting their comp?

PTSD has affected the military at every rank since war was invented-eons ago-

We have Congressmen and Senators who probably have PTSD, and lawyers and doctors, etc-

One's intelligence has nothing to do with the chaos and supernatural quality of warfare-

I have some good literature about PTSD from military experts- from Julius Caesar to Capt Von Shell to

SLA Marshall-intelligence was never a "risk" for PTSD- War, itself, is.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that PTSD or in my case Panic Disorder can lower intelligence. I think I am probably about 20 points lower than when I got it. Or maybe its just getting older.

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & Friends.

Sounds like a VA ploy to embrass vets from fileing for PTSD claims. The IRS advertized they had re written there tax forms so a 10 year old could fill out this one form. The form was still to complex but the complaints stop coming in.

Terry Higgins

by those researcher thinking, I must be pretty stupid, then, being I am 100% Scheduler P&T for PTSD, but I feel I am just the opposite, as we have to have to have a certain amount of brain power to be able to overcome the VA way of interpeting our claims, and proving them wrong on many issues over the years, yes, I have trouble with memory and concentration at times, but that is to be expected with the PTSD problems, I think it is just another ploy by the VA, to discredit Veterans from trying to get PTSD, I think they feel if the Veteran won't file for claims, for PTSD, feeling, they would think people would find out and think they are stupid, besides having other problems, when I feel it is just another ploy by the VA to screw the Veteran out of just compensation. I know it says this article came out in 1998, but it is the first that I read about it. So thought I would post it. As for the new tax forms, I did my own taxes for 30 years, plus other peoples, now just do my 4 kids and their spouses taxes, I haven't seen them yet this year, but last year they were still a little confusing, even if you have had training in doing them, especially the long form and itemizing everything. used to be a jack of all trades, but master of none, and getting worst every year.

• HadIt.com Elder

German poet and playwright Bertolt Brecht:

General your tank is a powerful vehicle

It smashes down forests and crushes a hundred men.

But it has one defect:

It needs a driver.

General, your bomber is powerful.

It flies faster than a storm and carries more than an elephant.

But it has one defect:

It needs a mechanic.

General, man is very useful.

He can fly and he can kill.

But he has one defect:

He can think.

(From A German War Primer)

• HadIt.com Elder

I think that this is just a way to slander those suffering from PTSD and it has political component. You can imagine the VA saying a veterans has a pre-existing mental deficit and that is why he got PTSD. All these studies are funded by groups with an ax to grind. A vet gets injured on duty and then groups have the gall to call him stupid. I think there should be a warning at every recruitment station " If you join we may declare you to be stupid".