VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Navy Reserve And Va Disability

Rate this question

sandboxsquid

Question

I am reaching out most likely to my Navy brethren out there on this one. I was mobilized to Iraq as a Navy Reservist for a year, and received 40% SC didability from the VA recently for injuries sustained. I was told by the medical department at the NOSC in Columbus, OH that I can no longer drill with that high of a disability rating without a waiver. Does anyone know if this is true or can point me in the right direction to find an answer? They told me about OPNAV 1850.4E, but I could not find anything of substance in this 300+ page drivel to answer this question. I understand I would have to pay back either my drill or VA pay at the end of the year and they did not allow "double dipping" as they put it. My enlistment time is up in a few months anyways, and I wish to get out. I know the Navy Reserve commanders are graded basically on the "mobilization readiness" of their underlings, and basically with my conditions I am no longer of any use to them.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Shipmate what a Predicament. What is your rating for? Can the Navy medically retire you. We have a lot of folks here that have Been Meb'd, out of service. I am not sure how a reserve component works.

Since your drill pay offsets the VA compensation, You would not lose any money if you got out.

Personally I would get out and take my chances with the VA. Depending on your actual disabilities and how the VA rating system considers them you may be increased. Also the VA is non taxable as Drill Pay is.

Good Luck and Welcome to the world of Hadit. Someone who may have been in your situation may chime in and open a few more doors.

JBasser.

JBasser, thanks for the reply. I am 30% for PTSD and 20% for chronic neck pain (which adds up to 40% in VA math). I just want to get out, and I am working with my reserve unit to have authorized absences for ther remainder of my time with the Navy. I am not sure it is worth going through all the hassle of a medical discharge with only a few months left. The VA has been very attentive to my care and I have had no problems to date on either of my treatments. (I know this may surprise some of you, but my experiences with the VA have been mostly positive, at least to date)

I am reaching out most likely to my Navy brethren out there on this one. I was mobilized to Iraq as a Navy Reservist for a year, and received 40% SC didability from the VA recently for injuries sustained. I was told by the medical department at the NOSC in Columbus, OH that I can no longer drill with that high of a disability rating without a waiver. Does anyone know if this is true or can point me in the right direction to find an answer? They told me about OPNAV 1850.4E, but I could not find anything of substance in this 300+ page drivel to answer this question. I understand I would have to pay back either my drill or VA pay at the end of the year and they did not allow "double dipping" as they put it. My enlistment time is up in a few months anyways, and I wish to get out. I know the Navy Reserve commanders are graded basically on the "mobilization readiness" of their underlings, and basically with my conditions I am no longer of any use to them.

J is correct get out. I was medically retired from the AF Res still fighting the fight with the VA, you would fall into that catagory if you have the time in which is 15 years total you have the option to retire if you are not able to perform your duties due to your disability. It sounds like you are able to drill and they will not allow you to cuncurrent reciept. Take the 40% and run!

• HadIt.com Elder
JBasser, thanks for the reply. I am 30% for PTSD and 20% for chronic neck pain (which adds up to 40% in VA math). I just want to get out, and I am working with my reserve unit to have authorized absences for ther remainder of my time with the Navy. I am not sure it is worth going through all the hassle of a medical discharge with only a few months left. The VA has been very attentive to my care and I have had no problems to date on either of my treatments. (I know this may surprise some of you, but my experiences with the VA have been mostly positive, at least to date)

You might want to really consider medical retirement. I believe with medical retirement you'll get lifetime Tricare or whatever it's called now, plus free air travel, etc, etc. That's a major benefit and would cover your dependents, also. Think it over carefully. jmo

pr

IMHO: My logic, at least I think of it as logic. Doesn't the military, by regs, have to give you a medical board or Physical Evaluation prior to discharge anyway, since on your medical questionaire you fill out at discharge, you will most certainly be listing any and all medical and/or psychological problems you are having and or had during your active time in service? I would be looking up the percentage requirements for PTSD and Pain, to make sure you are being evaluated at the proper percentage and not one that is lower than you should be getting.

Maybe you should talk to legal at your base, to help you better understand your legal rights and options.

Rockhound Rider :P