VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Handling Mail And Other Documentation

George Patton

With certain exceptions, the VBA is not authorized to throw away any mail or documents submitted by a veteran or on his/her behalf. Every piece of mail should be received in the mailroom and inputed into VBA's tracking system. However, some mailrooms are so understaffed that materials get lost or misfiled, and when they are located, say, about four weeks later--in most cases, they are correctly placed in the claims folder. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, some people do place mail in the shredder bins. Just an observation, but it may be done because a claim has been evaluated (completed) and ready to be promulgated, and the additional evidence may make it necessary to re-evaluate the case--thus, not getting the high number of pending claims down. In other instances, they may be afraid of a supervisor discovering that mail was misfiled and get into trouble. In any event, it is my opinion that mail should be handled carefullyand appropriately. Duplicate materials are supposed to be sent back to the veteran.

According to VBA, you may throw away envelopes, claims folder tracking forms, and returned VA forms/documents, and PIES request forms--this is used to request military records and verify periods of service. I would caution that envelopes and returned VA forms/documents have value. For instance, a veteran may resubmit an official VA form because the person wants to point out to the powers that be that the RO made a mistake--perhaps it failed to include an IU questionnaire went it sent the VCAA. An envelope may be important because it verifies that the information came from a physican, for example. In a personal case I know of, a veteran saw a physican several years ago. He completed a questionnaire and other documents while waiting to be seen. Several years later, he requests those medical records from that physician and receives them via mail. However, he only saw this medical doctor once and the medical records consists of that questionnaire he completed and a list of symptoms listed by the physican. Thus, no where on those records is there a name of the physician or medical facility. However, that information is on the envelope in which the medical records arrived, which gives weight that they are accurate.

All RO's are forbidden from shredding any documents until further notice is received from central office. The shredding bins have been taken away for now. Each employee must now place disposal material at a basket at his/her station and each night his/her coach must search it and identify documents that should not be there. Also, RO's are receiving additional training on personal identifiable information (PII). That is, materials that can identify a veteran (name, ssn, address, etc) must be be properly disposed.

I am a veteran and have met non-veterans that believe some veterans are simply gaming the system. On the other hand, I have also come across other veterans responsible for evaluating disabilities that are biased toward the claimant. It really depends upon the nature of the employee. One non-veteran says, "when warranted, my job is to grant, grant, grant--regardless of the amount of revenue it costs uncle Sam.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have less than zero faith in the fixing of this problem. Taking away the shredder bins is a joke (in my opinion). There is nothing stopping them from directly shredding documents.

Like I've always said, when the VA tries to fix the VA.....it's the fox guarding the hen house.

• HadIt.com Elder

I read somewhwere where a Veteran caught a VBA employee shredding his documents and he go denied, He proved it to the BVA and was granted SC. I will find it and post it here.

I know people who work ar the regional offices. The majority of them are fine people. Isnt it amazing how a group of bad apples can make the whole bushel smell rotton.

J

Edited by jbasser

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

With certain exceptions, the VBA is not authorized to throw away any mail or documents submitted by a veteran or on his/her behalf. Every piece of mail should be received in the mailroom and inputed into VBA's tracking system. However, some mailrooms are so understaffed that materials get lost or misfiled, and when they are located, say, about four weeks later--in most cases, they are correctly placed in the claims folder. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, some people do place mail in the shredder bins. Just an observation, but it may be done because a claim has been evaluated (completed) and ready to be promulgated, and the additional evidence may make it necessary to re-evaluate the case--thus, not getting the high number of pending claims down. In other instances, they may be afraid of a supervisor discovering that mail was misfiled and get into trouble. In any event, it is my opinion that mail should be handled carefully and appropriately. Duplicate materials are supposed to be sent back to the veteran.

I have never seen or heard of a veteran receiving "duplicate materials".

According to VBA, you may throw away envelopes, claims folder tracking forms, and returned VA forms/documents, and PIES request forms--this is used to request military records and verify periods of service.

PIES FORMS are evidence that could be used by the veteran to prove that, indeed, the VA was acutely aware of veteran status". In my case, the VA did not update my Character of Service, even where PIES documentation would prove the VA had knowledge of the facts. I do not think they should shred or destroy internal communications.

I would caution that envelopes and returned VA forms/documents have value. See my above statement.

For instance, a veteran may resubmit an official VA form because the person wants to point out to the powers that be that the RO made a mistake--perhaps it failed to include an IU questionnaire went it sent the VCAA. An envelope may be important because it verifies that the information came from a physican,

for example. In a personal case I know of, a veteran saw a physican several years ago. He completed a questionnaire and other documents while waiting to be seen. Several years later, he requests those medical records from that physician and receives them via mail. However, he only saw this medical doctor once and the medical records consists of that questionnaire he completed and a list of symptoms listed by the physican. Thus, no where on those records is there a name of the physician or medical facility. However, that information is on the envelope in which the medical records arrived, which gives weight that they are accurate.

All RO's are forbidden from shredding any documents until further notice is received from central office. The shredding bins have been taken away for now. Each employee must now place disposal material at a basket at his/her station and each night his/her coach must search it and identify documents that should not be there. Also, RO's are receiving additional training on personal identifiable information (PII). That is, materials that can identify a veteran (name, ssn, address, etc) must be properly disposed.

I am a veteran and have met non-veterans that believe some veterans are simply gaming the system. On the other hand, I have also come across other veterans responsible for evaluating disabilities that are biased toward the claimant. It really depends upon the nature of the employee. One non-veteran says, "when warranted, my job is to grant,

I couldn't agree more!!

grant, grant--regardless of the amount of revenue it costs uncle Sam.

George, Thank you for keeping us informed of VA Progress ;-) I'm sure it is getting better and better all the time. Seriously though, I do appreciate your insight and time shared. ~Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

"As the VA tries to run and hide from the shredder scandal, the Office of Inspector General (VAOIG) continues to investigate documents in shredder bins, unopened mail and other mishandled documents.

Now, it's time for VAOIG to put their cyber-crime experts to work."

Part of the latest at VA Watchdog:

http://www.vawatchdog.org/08/nf08/nfoct08/nf103108-3.htm

Today the heads of numerous vet orgs are meeting with the VA in DC on this latest VA fiasco.

Many veterans and widows have taken the time to document their own missing, lost, destroyed stories in letters to the H VAC and the OIG.I was shocked when I did a time line of the past 22 years of personal documented cases whereby the VA lost or destroyed my evidence and sent this to the OIG.One situation is a real shocker-

and I expanded on that one.

When I read the Watchdog article today-I realised how something disappeared from the VARO computers in my situation in January 2006.

The VSM and someone from my POA (documented)-I believe the same rep who knew full well that my medical evidence had still not been addressed and had a DRO conference to present it again (then it disappeared)colluded to send my SSOC response to the BVA instead of my formal I-9.

The 3 authorizations of the appeal transfer made a 800 Rep act like I had just won the NYS lottery-he inferred this was a high retro 3 signature award-but something seemed wrong-my POA for 6 months said they had no idea of what these signatures were for-the notations disappeared from the Vacols and the Covers screen.

But for 6 months the VA and the POA knew the claim was being transferred to the BVA but never told me until 6 months after the fact-

Good thing I sent my I-9 to both the RO and the BVA.

The cyber crime story at Watchdog today will potentially reveal how VA Manipulates the Covers screens.

I think the VARO shredded it and made false entries on the I-8.

Dr. Bash had some problems years ago woith the VA- I have copy of a letter that Deputy Sec Mansfield sent to him-when the situation was resolved and the letter ends with Mansfield's appreciation of Dr. Bash's medical opinions-

"I have confidence in the review that our General Counsel conducted and I regret there were a set of circumstances that have caused you concern.

Your medical opinions ,as well as those of your physician colleagues, are extremely valuable and necessary to the process of adjudicating veterans cases." (signed) Gordon H. Mansfield

I am proof that the Buffalo VA removed 2 IMos from Dr. Bash that I had-never listed them as evidence at all-

told me in Dec 2006 they had never received them and the BVA after 4 years stated recently that in spite of my many submissions of them-they were totally ignored. (they had my POAs help on that)

I see on other sites that Dr. Bash's opinions are being ignored by many ROs as well as IMOs from other doctors.

Completely ignored.

The VA itself ion a proper VCAA letter states if you need a medical opinion to support your clasim and then if you get one they ignore it (or shred it or lose it)

There are some growing patterns here in the elements of shreddergate.

Some VA employees are already on administrative leaves-due to this problem and I believe more VA employees with a conscience will step up and reveal what they know.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

George -

Do you work for the VA or another govt organization? I ask because your profile states that you are and "employee of a compensation and pension organization." Either way, thanks for the info.

All -

Regarding the PIES records requests. When I got my C-file there were a slew of them in there and showed that, for the most part, everytime I sent in another letter asking the VA where my active duty military medical and mental health (which were in a separate records jacket) records were they sent away again and asked for them. While neither my health or mental health records were ever recovered at least I had the satisfaction of knowing that they did send in for them numerous times so IMHO I think the PIES documents should remain in the vets file. Also, just from an administrative standpoint, it gives the VA proof that they actually did what they were supposed to do which would go a long way to helping reassure vets that they are following procedure.

At the risk of stating the obvious, if they would follow their own rules in the first place and quit denying valid claims and/or low balling valid claims, I do not believe they would have the backlog that they do. Of course, then the govt would have to face up to the true costs of war but that's another soapbox I'll stay off of.

Thanks,

TS Snave