Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Neck Question

Rate this question

bufloguy

Question

Just got the results back for an MRI on my neck, but I don't see the Dr. for several weeks. Could someone please let me know what the results mean? Thanks in advance!

FINDINGS: Alignment of the spine is normal. Thecal sac is normal at craniovertebral junction, Cl-2 and C2-3.

At C3-4, neural foramina are normal. No spinal stenosis is seen.

At C4-5, mild foraminal narrowing is present. There is a small posterior spur with mild protrusion of disc causing mild compression of thecal sac.

At C5-6, disc osteophyte complex noted because of cervical spondylosis, more prominent to the left causing mild compression of thecal sac. The right neural foramen is normal. Mile left foraminal narrowing is present.

At C6-7, large extruded disc is seen located posterior and central causing spinal canal stenosis and cord compression. Neural foramina have adequate size.

At C7-T1, small posterior and central disc protrusion is seen causing mild compression of thecal sac. Neural foramina are normal.

Impression:

1. Large extruded disc at C6-7 located posterior and central

causing cord compression.

2. Mild changes of cervical spondylosis at C4-5, C5-6 causing

mild compression of thecal sac.

3. Mild foraminal narrowing at C4-5 and mild narrowing of the

left C5-6 neural foramen.

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

• HadIt.com Elder

Bufloguy:

The neuro foramen are 2 small holes in the bone where the nerve roots pass through. c4/c5 these become narrowed and compress the nerve roots.

c5/c6 back of the vertabrate (Posterior)The arthritis or spondylosis is causing the thecal sac or the sac the spinal cord is encased in is compressed.

At c6/c7 the disk is extruded ( Slipped) and is compressing the spinal cord. This is a seroious issue and you may need surgury to correct it.

J

Edited by jbasser

• HadIt.com Elder

My brother had a similar result. The doctor told him he needed surgery. When my brother refused surgery the doctor refused to release him to work. He got social security on the first time through.

My brother has functioned fairly well without the surgery. Talk to a lot of people and get a second opinion before you decdide how to deal with it.

• HadIt.com Elder

You have a severely herniated disc causing moderate to severe central canal spinal stenosis at C6-7. You have Degenerative Disc Disease at C4-5/C5-6, which is mildly compressing the actual disc material. You have mild foraminal (bilateral) stenosis at C4-5, and mild left sided foraminal stenosis at C5-6. The neural foramina is the small holes on either side of the spine where the nerve roots exit.

I'm in no way even close to being a doctor, but your spine is totally screwed up. I am positive that you are in constant, severe pain. I am also sure that you are most likely having radiculopathy into your arms, which makes them feel numb, tingly, burning, and generally weak. With the central canal stenosis at C6-7, which is compressing the actual spinal cord, you could actually even be having a loss of control of your lower extremeties, bladder, bowels, and sexual dysfunction.

Don't read too much into the mild, moderate and severe stuff they may put in your records. We all experience this in different ways. Some of us may have problems as severe as yours and never know it, while others can only have a portion of your problems and be bedridden. If your PCP hasn't sent you to a neurosurgeon, you need to make sure he/she does that ricky tick. The neuro doc may want to start off with a epidural steriod injection (ESI), depending on how severe your symptoms are, or he may want to jump straight to a laminectomy and fusion. He could go somewhere between the two as well. I feel your pain, literally, except I have all of that in the lumbar spine. Don't let them jerk you around on this. Get the care you need, asap. Also, don't do any heavy lifting, strenuous stuff right now, and try to lie down and rest frequently. You should also try heat/ice therapy.

• HadIt.com Elder

One other note, your neck is almost a carbon copy of mine when I had my problems. If you have a copmressed nerve root, the liklihood of it being permanent is greater if the condition has existed for a period of 6 months to a year.

Rentalguy1 is dead on when he told you to not give too much weight to the mild moderate.

Things to look out for with a neck in your shape.

If you start to experience shortness of breath when you lie down or bend over to tie your shoes could mean a diaphragmatic problem caused by the neck. Diaphragm is innervated by C3.C4 with an accessory nerve to c5/c6.

Arm, shoulder, hand problems, Look for muscle wasting in the forearms, shoulder, hands. C5/C6 C6/C7.

There are a lot of variables with the cervical spine. I suggest you read Rentalguy1's spine repository as it is a wealth of information.

J

• HadIt.com Elder

Is this a VA doctor that you are waiting to see? If so, most likely he'll tell that you have only some minor arthritic changes secondary to age and there is no way you should be in any pain. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the info guys. I figured it was bad, but the VA Doc is in no hurry to diagnose. I was in a pretty bad car accident 20 years ago, and have had problems with my entire back, off and on for the whole 20 years. This doc is in rehab medicine, and she dosen't seem to concerned with my issues. She scheduled an mri for my neck, and suggested P.T. for 4 weeks. She would see me in 2 to 3 months, then she'll look at the rest of my back.

I'm trying to get this service connected, as the accident happened while I was active duty.

Again thanks for the info.