Rate this question

LeroyJohnson

Question

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Leroy, I know what you are going through with your eyes as I am in pretty much the same boat. The difference is, I was not in the VA system, when all my eye problems started. I wish I had been at least I would have been treated by some competent doctors, because Miami VAMC uses Bascom Palmer Eye Institutes doctors. At the time I had my own health insurance and it did not include Bascom Palmer, instead I used what the insurance provided, BIG downer/mistake in the end. Now my wife carries me on her insurance and I can use Bascomb Palmer directly. I cannot tell you what a relief this is for me. I have two options VA/ Bascom Palmer or Bascom Palmer alone. Leroy, not sure where you are located, but if I could make a suggestion check out Bascom Palmer website and ask some questions. They are one of the most respected eye institutes in the country. If I can be of any help, do not hesitate to ask me.

Here is a little side note. During the first surgery on my eye, the surgeon had a malfunction with an insturment, micro light I believe that was inserted in the eye at time of surgery. I was under anestheia at he time, but they do not completely knock you out, they need you to be awake. I heard everything that was going on. The surgeon kept pulling the light in and out of my eye for 30 to 40 min, mangling my eye. The hospital did not have another one in inventory. so they had to courier one to the hospital another hour. Meanwhile the surgeon is getting really upset, swearing at the attendent ot keep my lens wet and they didnt and a cataract devloped on it, so he removed the lens. During this time another surgeon came in to help/relieve the other after 3.5 hrs in surgery. Surgery total 4.5 hours, should have been 1.5hrs. After all this and laying face down for 2mos., my retina tore again. Second surgery sklerabuckle was inserted, 1.5hrs. and 4 weeks recovery. There was a lot more to this part of the story, to much so I wont go into all that. After all said and done, I was not a happy camper. Some friends got me an appt. with an attorney. They are probably one of the most unrelenting malpractice/wrongful death atty's around. After six months of investigation, the came up with zip/nada. The hospital,surgeons and any one else involved said ther wasnt any equiment malfunction. Friggin Liars. So out of curiosity I googled my first surgeons name a couple of montha ago and guess what I found. He was sued, reprimanded by the medical board for operating on the wrong eye of some poor soul. The medical board fined him 10k and that was it. So it is important to get the best, whatever it takes.

T&B

Thanks for the advice I spent the day at the VA eye clinic I went there mostly to see what they would say about relieving the pressure in my eye. WELL they don't want to do a simple lazar to relieve the pressure they want to remove my entire eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say I said no way and left without looking back.I will look into find someone outside the VA who will help me

Leroy

Thanks for the advice I spent the day at the VA eye clinic I went there mostly to see what they would say about relieving the pressure in my eye. WELL they don't want to do a simple lazar to relieve the pressure they want to remove my entire eye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! needless to say I said no way and left without looking back.I will look into find someone outside the VA who will help me

Leroy

Leroy,

I found me a private doctor who started treating my glaucoma with Pilocarpine 1% eye drop which seems to have done the trick for the most part. If the drop had not worked I was looking at another surgery as well, this way I am able to put it off maybe forever.