Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

A Question

Rate this question

purple

Question

I don't intend for this topic to become an argument. Just something I've been wondering for a very long time and want to get the opinion of others.

I know a vet who is receiving benefits at the 100% SC rate because this vet was in a severe vehicle accident while on duty. So far so good right? Here's the problem. This vet was drunk on duty. This vet's injuries were so severe that he was in a coma for weeks and has permanent brain injuries. He has admitted to several ppl (including me) that he crashed the military vehicle he was driving because he was drunk.

I don't believe he should be receiving benefits.

Thoughts?

• Answers 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

I commented on this earlier but all U are going to do this is putting the person U know in the welfare line & if said person is proven to be a fraud might have to pay back any monies that has been received already

GARY

When I served in 1968-70 half the post were alcoholics and the other half were dopers. Even though their performances were usually outstanding by Army standards. I guess my point is that although this Veteran may have been impaired I still think that he deserves the benefits.

We probably will never agree on this issue, but I respect your right to a different opinion--I've been wrong before, but in this case, I think law and regulations are on my side. To me, what you are saying is that although the vet's current problems are due to his/her own misconduct, they should receive benefits because they did a good job. To me, there are two separate issues.

Doing a good job is what is expected. Participating in misconduct is one's own choice and against the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice).

I think both opinions are greatly influenced by the military experiences of you and myself. Your service was during the draft era and a time of great turmoil in the Army. That turmoil included the riot at the LBJ in Long Binh Vietnam, massive abuse of drugs and alcohol, riots in Germany, and I could go on and on. I served during that time and for another 21 years subsequently. The majority of that time was in the All-Volunteer Army. Those negative things (on a large scale) that you saw, were eliminated for the most part. There were still problems, but they did not permeate the Army as a whole.

Personnel who used drugs were put out of the Army. I saw a Division Command Sergeant Major

relieved and told to retire after one DUI. The old, apparent tolerance for those activities was gone...

I probably should not have gotten into this discussion because I truly believe there is a general anti-military feeling among many Hadit members. Those feelings are articulated through comments that seemingly say, "Military bad; all who have served, good." The fact is, that all who served did not serve without misconduct and some served dishonorably. I know because I sat on enough courts martial to form an educated opinion.

Ron,

I question why he was sent back to RVN for a second time

when they knew he had become a heroin addict.

Now I am going by his records and what he tells me.

When he came home the first time he was going to get

a Dishonorable Discharge, he told DOD you are going to ruin

my life with this you just as well should send me back,

and they did send him back.

He has an Honorable discharge and his discharge is pre Obra

rules, (I think Obra was 1990 or 1991).

carlie

Hi Carlie,

When I made my last post I was talking more in the abstract than in an individual case.

However, this remark made by the vet, "When he came home the first time he was going to get

a Dishonorable Discharge, he told DOD you are going to ruin my life with this you just as well should send me back, and they did send him back." is unbelievable in my opinion. The military does not accept ultimatums. Just speculation on my part, but I think he volunteered for the second tour.

I hope he and other vets get everything they legally deserve from the VA, and quickly I might add.

Ron

p.s.

I do know that that the Army, during that time, was attempting to rehabilitate heroin users for future duty. I had an additional duty as Unit Drug Counselor in 1971.

Edited by Ron II

• HadIt.com Elder

1968 was a pivotal time in the "drug era" Hippies etc, and in Vietnam, and in the support for the war. I joined the Army, (RA) in 66, and was out of Vietnam sometime in March of 68, light weapons infantry, We had RA's and US's, as we called them. (no NG's) lol. ( long story) If my memory serves me right, the beginning of 68 and the end of 68 was like night and day when it came to drug abuse, in and out of the military. All we got when I was there, was two hot beers a day dropped to us, if we were lucky. All the drugging and increase in boozing followed after the Spring of 68. We didn't have a lot of drug abuse in my Company, or at least I wasn't privy to it going on. All that self medicating and/ or willful misconduct was used by and against Vietnam vets toward the end of the war and then into the history books after. it's a tough issue.

I'm going to get his cfile back and all the leg work I put together

for him and go thru where he was and the dates.

I do know he was in country July68 -69 He was assigned on a 50 Quad Whispering Death

and another one something Fred the Exterminator or Executioner, if I remember right.

and again 70-71 on Quad 50 named God's Hell of Fire.

He states he was not in any barracks, they stayed in bunker's and most of the time

he was on a hill's with a number's.

He has quite a few pictures.

What worries me with his pictures is when he got out he put them

in big photo frames and made a collage of them, we need to be able

to make copies of them but when we try to take the pictures

out of the frame most are stuck to the glass and I don't want to spoliate

his pictures as this will be used for evidence.

The problem I see comming with his PTSD Claim, even though he has

a doctors diagnosis and nexus to RVN Combat, I feel VARO will deny

the PTSD as willful misconduct, drug related.

When he got out of the Army he went into a private drug treatment program

in Puerto Rico.

He also has the paperwork on this treatment.

At that time there were not many treatment facilities.

He has been clean since then.

carlie