Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Va Rating Info

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I just wanted to help out people that might have sleep apnea and were wondering what the VA rates the condition. I hope this helps.

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):

Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor

pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy.................................................................. 100

Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous

airway pressure (CPAP) machine.........................................................................

. 50

Persistent day-time hypersomnolence ......................................................................... 30

Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing......................................... 0

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I think you'll have a hard time proving Sleep Apnea as secondary to IHD if that's what's on your mind. Unless you can prove you had Sleep Apnea prior to the heart disease, then you can file IHD as secondary to sleep apnea. OR..if you can prove you had Asthma during service, then that would be a claim SA secondary to Asthma. You can even try your Tinnitus as the cause, due to keeping you awake all night.

I would definitely file for increase for the IHD though, due to the worsening of residuals.

TDIU could be a factor also. What is the breakdown of % of each disability?

Coot

Just typing in a few things and came across this forum I currently have Hypertension 0%, Tinnitus 10% asthma 30% and just filed again for OSA (Sleep Apnea) and also secondary to my asthma and hypertension.Reopen depression, chest pains and new prostate cancer. Been waiting 30 days thinking about SSDI

sleep apnea secondary to tinnitus? I'm not a doc, but I just don't see that happening (JMHO). I believe you would be better off using the sleep apnea secondary to the asthma, and that would also be off the results from a PFT.

I believe I told you this before truck905, I do wish you the best and hope that everything works out for you.

Sleep apnea, bottom line... It's an obstructed airway, which reduces the flow of air into your lungs and other vital organs such as the heart and brain. If Sleep apnea is left untreated and you don't use your C-PAP if you have one, you might die in your sleep or die from complications of other medical problems such as heart failure or storke secondary to your Sleep Apnea. Get those issues taken care of first then take it up with the VA for your service connected disability. Being in the military medical field for 21 years, you the patient have to be on top of things, don't expect your doctor to find everything wrong with you, it's up to you to keep him or her informed as to your health. If your not happy with the doctor you have find another one, be your own advocate when it comes to your health. Best of luck...Doc904

Doc904, I've been told by a couple of sleep therapists that most men with a neck size of 16 inches or larger will have some sort of SA issues. I agree with you about needing to stay on top of things. I was reviewing a veterans medical records and going through his lab results, I seen that his ALT was 71. I asked him if he was having problems with his liver, he said no. I then asked him if he recently noticed a different odor with his urine. His eyes lit up and asked me how I knew that. I just told him that he needed to see his doc in reference to his ALT score. I explained it was well above the average. he came back and saw me. he told me that his doc apologized for the oversight and put him on medication for 2 weeks.

I'm not a doctor, but I have reviewed a lot of medical records. When I first started doing this, I would look up on the web to see what it was. After awhile many of the veterans are having the same problems and just don't know it...