Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea Va Rating Info

Rate this question

USMC_HVEQ

Question

I just wanted to help out people that might have sleep apnea and were wondering what the VA rates the condition. I hope this helps.

6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed):

Chronic respiratory failure with carbon dioxide retention or cor

pulmonale, or; requires tracheostomy.................................................................. 100

Requires use of breathing assistance device such as continuous

airway pressure (CPAP) machine.........................................................................

. 50

Persistent day-time hypersomnolence ......................................................................... 30

Asymptomatic but with documented sleep disorder breathing......................................... 0

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

My pulmonologist in his medical opinion, cited my in service hypertension as one of the medical indicators that demonstrated that apnea began in service.

I find it interesting that the rating schedule clearly indicates that sleep apnea can be present but aysymptomatic. I see an awefull lot of not present during service and no complaint of used to tear down veterans claims when the law recognizes it is a disease that can be present and asymptomatic. The repeated use of those phrases don't sound very non-adversarial and ignore well established medical fact.

You might have your sleep doc review your SMC's and see if he thinks there is medical Evidence for its start in service, and if it was a factor in the causality of your SC cardiac conditions.

Best regatds,

IMHO Sleep apnea is one of the conditions that are the hardest to get service connected. Why?

First of all, with Viet nam Era Vets we didnt even know what OSA was. So, even if we got sleep apnea in service we would not have been treated for it until they figured out what it was, years later.

It reminds me of Hepatitus. They did not have all the tests for hep back prior to the 70's. So, even if you got hep, say from a jetgun, you got out of the military and no test you could take would show the malady living inside of you.

Thirty years later, you go to your VA for a routine check up (or because your health deteriorated) and, low and behold you have advanced hep c or b.

So, now you have to try to prove you contacted hep c in the service. The VA denies you, saying there is "no record" you contacted hep c in service.

In the mean time, you find out you are in the advanced stages of hep c, and have informed your family you have another year. Of course, that is not long enough for the VA to process your application, so you pass..and the VA says, "Next".

I am rated 0% for lung disease. I use a CPAP machine. I have a claim in for CPAP secondary to the lung disease. What are my chances of approval? Thanks vet12

All I can do is to try getting this service connected. I will starting putting a claim together in a few months. I know my records show that the "member complains of fatigue" quite a bit. I will use that plus all the other medical conditions I have plus what the pulmonologist comes up with next month as well!!

There are a number of medical conditions that have been linked to obstructive sleep apnea, either as a causative or aggravating factor. There is a clear relationship between OSA and cardiovascular disease. Lack of oxygen and rising blood pressure.

Coot

Writing up a claim that will be approved even if it will have to be appealed is my next step.