Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Developing Claim For Residuals Of Tbi

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

The following is a part of the write up of the discussion I had with the Individual who conducted my Neuropyschiatric testing, on the results of this testing: and a summery of those test results.

“I met with Mr.XXXX on 7/2/08 to discuss the results of neuropsychological testing. We again discussed his history of having successful performance in the military prior to the time that he was hospitalized in a military hospital and sustained an injury to his nose. With possible frontal lobe linjury. Mr. XXXX has been frustrated over the years that he has not been able to secure service connected disability. This has been based on the past diagnosis by a ratings examiner (1974) of a Personality Disorder."

"It is my opinion that if Mr. XXXX has a personality disorder, it is most likely an Organic Personality Disorder stemming from the brain injury in 1973. Neurology notes from that time document the neurologist’s opinion that EEG findings indicate some degree of frontal lobe pathology. Personality changes are frequently noted after a frontal lobe injury and they can be even more disabling and prominent than cognitive changes.”

(The examiner has a Phd. Since she is working with the psych teem, I am assuming she is a psychologist}

DIAGNOSTIC SUMMERY:

1. Mr. XXXX is attention and memory abilities are basically intact. Test scores show significant executive dysfunction.

2. Given the course of history, it is possible that the deficits found represent the sequelae of the brain injury he sustained during the military service. Changes in mood and personality functioning may represent an Organic Personality Disorder stemming from the brain injury. Military records show that his performance prior to the injury was satisfactory.

3. Mr. XXXX has numerous , chronic health problems that impact negatively on his physical and cognitive Functioning.

When I went to this testing, I provided the examiner with documents of my schooling and personnel evaluation during service, along with other supporting documents that showed I had no problems in service, that my problems only began after my acute psychotic episode and the minor cerebral concussion. The paper trail history supports this and the abnormal EEG test support some type of frontal lobe injury. It’s a known fact that the frontal lobe region of the brain controls ones personality.

Not that I’m going to be over joyd to find anything possiiv, but I hope my upcoming EEG test and MRI show some indication of the injury I sustained to my frontal lobe. I won’t be holding my breath, since these tests do not always show problems, when in fact there is.

Just thought I would clarify what I have been saying about my neuropsychiatric test results and the evidence that supports me reopening my claim for the TBI/Cerebral Concussion..

EEG and MRI pending, and final report from Neurologist on their findings.

I also have a statement from one of my prior treating Psychiatrists basically stating that have observed me over a period of time she can conclude that I do not have any personality disorder that meets the standards of the DSM IV. Which goes toward supporting that any personality disorder I might have, is more likely to be the results of the TBI. (still trying to locate the progress notes, since my filing process is sorely lacking in orginzation.)

Any recommendation on what other areas I should cover to support my claim would be most helpfull

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Rockhound

Keep working your claim. You are getting closer. The notes about acute schizophrenic episode with you being catatonic for 2 days makes the PD diagnosis absurd in my mind. Just because you did not show symptoms of schizophrenia does not mean you don't have schizophrenic residuals. How in the world did they explain away the acute episode? I never had a MMPI from the VA. They gave me the ink blot test in 1972. I think they did not want to spend the money on the MMPI and that it would have shown objective evidence that I was a lot worse off than 10%. The ink blots are so subjective. As I see it now it was all just at attempt by the VA to minimize my problems so they could low ball me. That is the crime that they committed against thousands of Vietnam era vets. The VBA really is a criminal organization.

• HadIt.com Elder

John,

They could have explained away anything under the DSM II. The diagnostic rules were were not consistent. However, I do not think the military docotrs did explain it away. They left the door open. Then the bogus C&P slammed the door shut by changing the diagnosis to a PD. There should be a law against an examining physician overridding or changing the opinion of treating physicians. They allowed an examining C&P doctor to shut a door left open by the treating physicians. I think they should have put Rock back in treatment to get a clear picture before denying his claim.

There are situation where schizo symptoms do resolve. I am not saying this is the case with Rock. However, I posted this to show how they could do it under the DSM IV. I Copied and pasted information below below from the URL shown

http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/m...chotic-disorder

Schizophrenia and Brief Psychotic Disorder

As the name suggests, brief psychotic disorder is a short-term illness with psychotic symptoms. The symptoms often come on suddenly, but last for less than one month, after which the person usually recovers completely. There are three basic forms of brief psychotic disorder:

Brief psychotic disorder with obvious stressor (also called brief reactive psychosis): This type, also called brief reactive psychosis, occurs shortly after and often in response to a trauma or major stress, such as the death of a love one, an accident or assault, or a natural disaster. Most cases of brief psychotic disorder occur as a reaction to a very disturbing event.

Brief psychotic disorder without obvious stressor: With this type, there is no apparent trauma or stress that triggers the illness.

Brief psychotic disorder with postpartum onset: This type occurs in women, usually within 4 weeks of having a baby.

What Are the Symptoms of Brief Psychotic Disorder?

The most obvious symptoms of brief psychotic disorder include:

Hallucinations: Hallucinations are sensory perceptions of things that aren't actually present, such as hearing voices, seeing things that aren't there or feeling sensations on your skin even though nothing is touching your body.

Delusions: These are false beliefs that the person refuses to give up, even in the face of contradictory facts.

Other symptoms of brief psychotic disorder include:

Disorganized thinking

Speech or language that doesn't make sense

Unusual behavior and dress

Problems with memory

Disorientation or confusion

Changes in eating or sleeping habits, energy level, or weight

Inability to make decisions

Hoppy

100% for Angioedema with secondary conditions.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hoppy

My complaint is that the military discharged Rock because of the acute psychotic disorder. They must have thought he was too sick to serve. Then the VA just examines him, and he is not psychotic according to them, and they say PD and that slams the door. I was discharged for a PD. The VA shrink said schizophrenia, so I got 10%. My private doctor said chronic schizophrenia and unable to work. The VA disregarded that report. I think Rock had a better case than I did. I was pretty crazy in those early days, and I filed a claim within one year of discharge. The VA doctor said residual schizophrenia. I understand what you are saying about a single acute psychotic episode, and I agree the VA should have examined him more than once. They should have treated him, but they just wanted to save compensation money. I did a lot of appealing in the early days including the type discharge I got. Both me,you and Rock were discharged back in the bad old days when the VA could get away with anything. How long did it take you and me to get a decent rating....25 years? If Rock had one piece of evidence from his original rating to say he was schizophrenic I think he would have something. Unfortunately he does not have this. In my claim the VA relied on a hospital visit and my SMR's. I never got a C&P exam. They gave great weight to the SMR's, but mostly to their VA doctor that did an exam when I was an in-patient. The guy did not like me at all because I had long hair. He more or less said so. How prejudiced and arbitrary.

9327 Organic mental disorder, other (including personality

change due to a general medical condition)?

or

9304 Dementia due to head trauma?

Tough choice, I think there is evidence for both.

8045 also covers TBI but the new rating system is not posted yet online. It addresses residuals but not the mental aspect.

My rating code is 9310 Dementia of unknown etiology which is somewhat wrong but I actually prefer it in that My symptoms fit both TBI and GWI. As there was no GWI, and I had been rated for an undiagnosed condition, I think the unkown etiology code may be usefull as GW research learns more. I don't have a 8045 rating. ?????

Organic refers to a physical cause of the symptoms which can be shown by diagnostic test(s) used to measure something physical, ( EEG, MRI, CT etc. ).