VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu And Vocreh (is It To Late?)

Rate this question

CAVscoutIII

Question

Hello all, and thank you for your help this will be my first post but by no means the first visit to the site. Your considerate and compassionate help for veterans suffering from disability's seen and unseen is in keeping with that of true patriots. That said down to the thick of it I am a veteran of the recent conflict in Iraq and I am still in the Florida national Guard. I am currently rated at combined 80% (70% PTSD--10%Tinnitus--10% Barrett's Esophagus--10% IBS) I have recently lost my job due to persistent panic attacks and I have been diagnosed by my VA psychiatrist with panic disorder with agoraphobia which he feels is related to my PTSD. So given all of this information I filed a claim for panic disorder secondary, and TDIU and for TBI with new and material evidence as it was previously denied stating that "I was not injured in Iraq," but then it hit me! While working I applied for VocRehab and was approved. I have only had one appointment and my next is on the 13th. What do I do? If I go to school will I be denied TDIU? I can make my money stretch but 80% only goes so far. Should I just drop my classes for now and wait? Any advice would help. Scouts out!!!

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

With a 80% rating how has the National Guard not sought to discharge you on medical reasons? The Guard is something I don't understand. Would they attempt to send you back to a combat zone given your condition? I don't think being in Voc Rehab should bar you from getting TDIU. When you complete Voc Rehab and get a job and hold it then you will lose TDIU, but then you don't need it. If you are not able to complete Voc Rehab that is just proof you can't work. Do you think you are going to be able to go to school full time and deal with your disabilities? I don't want to discourage a young man from trying to help himself. Being TDIU for fifty or sixty years is a long time.

The National Guard is kind of odd but I think they will be discharging me soon at least they have been telling me this for a year or so. The last word was that the state was going to review my file for a state MOS Medical Review Board. If that is approved for further action it will then be forwarded to a active duty MEB leading to a PEB. It is not my goal to stay on TDIU for a long time but I could use it right now while I'm in therapy and trying to take a few classes. Also I'm concerned the PEB will try to reduce my disability rating, I have heard of several people say that the PEB does not grant appropriate ratings especially for people with PTSD. Would the PEB ratings supersede the decision already made by the VA?