Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Back Injury-questions

Rate this question

12bericv

Question

short-

got injured on a nightjump in bragg. injured my back in a bad way. the injury and records reflect the injury.

when i filed for it they said i did not have enough "proof" that the injury i have now was from then.

i have went to two nuerosurgeons, had MRI's, spinal decompression, and treatments done to help me. from the diagnosses of the doctors i NEED surgery. i am in constant pain, i cant do demanding work, headaches, loss of feeling in my right leg... etc....

the last responce i got back said no go again. so i re-submitted.

they will not accept the MRI's into the case. how do i include this new proof to show i am not lying and that i do have a serious injury here? i did get a letter from the neurosurgeon that stated that this injury is not a "new" injury and that it is very likely from the said injury. i only wish now that i had gone to sick call 24/7, had them do mri's and x-rays and had that injury logged better then. but i was 1 month from ets, and actually thought that it was not as bad as i thought... i hope i get a good answer this time around,,, i need it...

IF IT IS TO BE THEN LET IT BE.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I am sitting at home recovering from a spinal fusion of my L4-5 done on 7 Jan 2009 and my case is similar to your.

I was denied due to no Nexus. I also filed as secondary to a right knee conditon I had for years in the service. That was flatout denied by my incompetant C&P examiner who refused to look at my MRI films, only reading the report from the radiologist. I have since done everything I can to overwhelm the VA with statements and evidence supporting my claim. I'm waiting on the DRO I met with now to see what excuses she can come up with to deny me again.

Look for my posts, Rentalguys posts, etc. Key words IVDS or DDD.

Find and priint the IVDS/DDD VA Training Letter. THis explains in the VA's own words what they, THE VA, believe leads to IVDS/DDD. Take this, all of your military and civilian medical records and ask all of your doctors to review them and write a simple letter stating they have reviewed all the records, have been treating you for XXX years, have the following medical credentials and are of the opinion that your current condition is "at least as likely as not" related to the injury inservice.

I'm like you, I wish I had gone to sickbay and documented everything, but at least in the Marines going to sickbay for anything less than stitches or because you passed out on a run would get you labled a malingering s***bird.

It's a good thing that I don't have any contact with some of my former superiors in the Marines because I can honestly say that the police would end up being called.

Do some research on here and you should find what you need.

If the VA will follow the law and take all of it into account or not is a totally different matter.

12bericv,

Ironically I helped a vet from Bragg on Tuesday with a Parachute failure on a exercise. The vet also had some SC claims due to overseas service also. However, here is just a possible recommendation for you. *If you served overseas in Iraq or Afghanistan or any combat related service. But indicate what unit you were with (this means put the unit in detail. Not I served in Iraq with the Marines, Navy, Army or Air Force.

This is how I'd write the claim: -(notes)

I am requesting service connection disability benefits for upper and lower back (depending) disability, bilateral knee disabilities, neurological disabilities and (migraines or TBI (sounds like the headaches might be from head injury from the fall)) related to the night jump exercise on (insert month/year) at Fort Bragg, North Carolina while I was assigned with (insert full unit info). Please schedule all compensation exams as soon as possible. All my treatment records are at the (insert VA Location here). (If you have other records from other doctors resources say:) I am submitting additional evidence from 1. (Insert Name and Title Total Pages) 2. (Insert and Title, Total Pages).

If they deny you file a NOD... I would file a NOD just indicating > I disagree with your decision denying my service connection for the following claims for 1,2,3...... in which I request a informal review with a DRO Officer, myself and my representation to present my case.

-Spike-

Vet Advocate

--------------

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• kidva earned a badge
      First Post
    • kidva earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use