VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Kid Getting Out!

Rate this question

Cavman

Question

I know a young man getting out of the service early next week. He will be taking his release physical and has some issues. He has spent I believe 6 or 8 years in the service and a couple tours in the infantry in Iraq. He has a combat badge with many other decorations. He has seen much combat and tells me he has had to do things that will be haunting for life to him. He has hearing issues and other physical problems.

I know he should stop ignoring issues especially PTSD ones.

I think about all he can do now is let them know at the final physical about his health issues other than the obvious ones. Do you agree?

Cavman

Edited by Cavman

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I know a young man getting out of the service early next week. He will be taking his release physical and has some issues. He has spent I believe 6 or 8 years in the service and a couple tours in the infantry in Iraq. He has a combat badge with many other decorations. He has seen much combat and tells me he has had to do things that will be haunting for life to him. He has hearing issues and other physical problems.

I think about all he can do now is let them know at the final physical about his health issues other than the obvious ones. Do you agree?

Cavman

Cavman:

Most definitely. Tell him to leave no stone unturned. Mention anything that could be bothering him. If they ask why he never brought it up before, it's because he was being a soldier and showing weakness is not in his makeup. Some of the issues most returning IRAQ vets have are PTSD (of course), upper and lower back problems from traversing the desert and cities with all of the equipment they have to carry not to mention the armour they wear. You already mentioned hearing loss, but tell him to remember tinitus (ringing in the ears). He needs to make sure the doc writes down what he mentions. Sometimes they just write down what they want. Blood pressure (hypertension) may be something to look at as far as if it has increased since being in IRAQ. As far as PTSD, if he can mention a particular situation that he was in or observed and it continues to haunt him it will help in establishing the root of the problem. The proper term escapes me right now. Also, tell him to visit the service organizations for support when he gets back.

• HadIt.com Elder

Cavman

He should have a checklist of some kind, or he'll likely forget to complain. He needs to have it documented in his SMR or Discharge Physical his Chief Complaints, and all other matters. I wish I had a checklist to give you; just think head to toe. ~Wings

As you know of this young man soon to be released from the military it would be in his best interest for you or someone else to advise him to write on his discharge papers his problems, and then also make sure he tells the discharge planner of any/all problems he is experiences. With a combat infantry badge he should be qualified for ptsd, and as previously stated hearing/tinnitus too. Mobility and skeletal structue problems too. Remind him seeking help is not a weakness!

He needs to make sure any sick call appointment are quantified also. Especially if he has had any continuance or chronic problems during his enlistment. And for heavens sake GET COPIES OF EVERYTHIG IN HIS FILES! We all know very well how files get lost, are missing and ?shreadded? If only we had someone to pass this info to us years ago...

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

The DD-214 has a small checkbox that must not be ignored! Do so and your claim may die! On the DD-214 the soon to be veteran MUST CHECK THE BOX, indicating that he wants his SMR's sent to the VA Secretary. I have not seen a contemporary DD-214 Form, but know that the little, tiny box must be checked and never "waived" !! ~Wings

See also:

10 U.S.C. 1218(a), provides, in pertinent part, as follows:

(a) A member of an armed force may not be discharged or released from

active duty because of physical disability until he-

(1) has made a claim for compensation, pension, or

hospitalization, to be filed with the Department of

Veterans Affairs, or has refused to make such a claim; or

(2) has signed a statement that his right to make such

a claim has been explained to him, or has refused to sign

such a statement.

LIKE I HAVE SAID IN THIS COMPUTER AGE IT IS GOING TO BE HARD FOR THE

new guys to not be up to date as to what is going on. i would advise this guy to read some of the stories on hadit and think of what lies beyond today. many guys have been beat at discharge for benefits later on.they probably have a system set up now to cover their asses later on. he is young and may not have the full imoact of what he has been through hit him yet. he needs a real good advisor. and i would advise some extensive psychology tests to be sure every thing is ok with him.

for sure if he has problems he needs to be aware of the one year timeline ,

that is where thay got me i was sick but did not seek help until i almost committed suicide,about two years after i got out.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know the extent of his disabilities, IMHO, He should have a medical evaluation while he is still on active duty. Also, a PEB disability rating of 30% or greater, before he gets out of the service, so he can get a chapter 61 medical retirement. He needs to speak to a veterans service organizations' NSO before he gets out. ASAP